Sports fans from across Donegal will have the chance to see some of the top cyclists in Europe later this summer.
The county hosts no less than four stages of the RAS race which gets underway on May 20th next.
The following is a map of the route and details of the launch.
The 2012 An Post Rás route was revealed at the GPO on January 26th and looks certain to provide a challenging test. This year’s Rás covers 1168 kilometres over eight stages with 28 categorised climbs, three of which are category one ascents.
The 2012 Rás is the 60th in its history, and this year’s route was planned by cyclist, Stephen O’Sullivan. Stephen is a former stage winner and seventeen year veteran of the event.
The action gets underway on Sunday May 20th in Dunboyne, Co. Meath with stage finishes in Kilkenny, Gort, Westport, Bundoran, Buncranna, Killybeggs, Coothill and finishing in Skerries.
• Stage 1, Sunday 20th May, DUNBOYNE – KILKENNY 147 Kms.
• Stage 2, Monday 21st May, KILKENNY – GORT 158 Kms.
• Stage 3, Tuesday 22nd May, GORT – WESTPORT 145 Kms.
• Stage 4, Wednesday 23rd May, WESTPORT – BUNDORAN 135 Kms.
• Stage 5, Thursday 24th May, BUNDORAN – BUNCRANA 149 Kms.
• Stage 6, Friday 25th May, BUNCRANA – KILLYBEGS 134 Kms.
• Stage 7, Saturday 26th May, DONEGAL – COOTEHILL 161 Kms.
• Stage 8, Sunday 27th May, COOTEHILL – SKERRIES 139 Kms.