REMINDER: Comments Rules on donegaldaily.com.
Please read these donegaldaily.com rules carefully. They outline what we consider is acceptable and unacceptable content. We may update the rules from time to time, so please read them before posting a comment. Our careful analysis of comments is for legal reasons.
▪ Rule 1: We welcome your opinions We welcome your opinions. We want our readers to see and understand different points of view. We do not allow bad language and we do not allow abusive comments. Defamatory comments – deemed as such by our legal advisors – will not be published under any circumstances and the Editor’s decision is final.
▪ Rule 2: This is a public service Once your comment is online, everyone with Internet access can read it. Please make your comment clear to ensure that it is not misunderstood.
▪ Rule 3: Language and relevance Please be polite. Do not use swear words or crude or sexual language. Keep your submissions relevant to the story or topic. Do not insult other contributions. If you can’t make your argument without resulting to foul language or personal abuse, you shouldn’t make any comment at all.
▪ Rule 4: Report abuse If you feel you have been abused online on our site, let us know immediately at email@example.com
▪ Rule 5: No libel or other abuse . You must not make or encourage comments which are: • defamatory, false or misleading; • insulting, threatening or abusive; • obscene or of a sexual nature; • offensive, racist, sexist, homophobic or discriminatory against any religions or other groups. You can’t blandly label someone a liar and seriously expect a comment to be published.
▪ Rule 6: Confidentiality, privacy and contempt Please respect people’s privacy. You are not allowed to submit confidential or private information. For example, you must not upload the telephone number, email address or any other contact details of any person. You should not write anything which could prejudice pending or on-going court proceedings of which you are aware. For example, if you have any personal knowledge about someone who has been arrested or charged or being prosecuted for an offence, you must not mention it. If you do, you could be in contempt of court, which is an extremely serious matter.
▪ Rule 7: Emails: • you must provide a valid email address. These cannot be viewed publicly but must be valid for our verification only.
▪ Rule 8: No impersonation and proper disclosure You must not pretend to be someone else (e.g. an expert, another user or a member of our team). You must not pretend that you are unconnected to a story or topic, when in fact you are. If you have a personal connection to a story or topic, you should disclose your connection or, where appropriate, not comment at all. No comments are allowed on any ongoing court cases as they could be in contempt of court proceedings.
▪ Rule 9: No linking or copyright infringement You must not insert links to websites (URLs) or submit content which would be an infringement of copyright.
▪ Rule 10: Healthy debate We welcome healthy discussion and debate. Please use donegaldaily.com for this, but do not resort to comments which you know will be trashed. It’s a waste of your time and ours.
▪ Rule 11: Editor’s Decision is final on all matters.