A CHEMISTRY teacher has been hailed a hero after her routine inspection of a school lab prevented injuries to staff and pupils.
And it was all down to her concern for health and safety.
Rosses Community School teacher Michelle Gallagher always checks chemicals stored in the school before children arrive for class.
And yesterday she discovered that two of the substances stored there had become unstable.
Large canisters of both potassium and lithium had crystallised making them potentially dangerous.
Ms Gallagher immediately implemented a school fire drill, said Principal John Gorman.
“She has extensive experience in this area and took immediate steps to make the area safe,” he said.
Fire officers from Dungloe and Gaoth Dobhair made the chemicals safe and they were removed from the school yesterday.
Mock exams continue at the school this morning as the 500 pupils and their teachers return to classes.
Students unable to take Business and Maths exams yesterday will now take them next Thursday.