SIMPLE STEPS CAN HAVE A BIG IMPACT
A small change in your lifestyle can have a huge impact on your health.
You will reap the benefits by slotting 30 minutes of activity into your day – even if you divide it into two 15 minute sessions at different times.
It doesn’t have to be about getting super fit or preparing for a marathon. It’s about making time for a little exercise. Take a gradual approach, and build up your activity routine as you become fitter.
Obesity is a major public health concern in Ireland, 38% of Irish people are overweight and 23% are obese.
One in five Irish children and teenagers is overweight or obese.
Remember to always start exercise at a slow pace and build intensity gradually.
Build more activity into your day by taking some simple steps:
1. Park at the furthest end of the supermarket and walk to the entrance
2. Take the stairs instead of the lift at the office or at the shopping centre.
3. Park away from the shops.
4. When you drop the kids off at karate, GAA or basketball or dancing, don’t sit in the car and read a book or the newspaper, go for a walk.
5. Go walking with a friend.
6. Join a group activity such as aerobics or dancing.
7. Set yourself weekly exercise goals – short-term goals are easier to stick with and give a quick confidence boost.
Check out this website to see what’s happening in your area: www.getactiveireland.ie
Lack of time is the biggest reason why people avoid exercise but there are so many health benefits.
These include: improves concentration, helps to boost your mood, boosts energy levels and reduces risks of heart disease.
Get out there.