THE promoters behind Garth Brooks’ Croke Park concerts says all five could now be cancelled – after two were pulled by Dublin City Council earlier today.
Peter Aiken of Aiken Promotions told RTE that he was very disappointed the council turned down licenses for concerts on July 28 and 29.
The council did give the go-ahead for three other gigs on July 25, 26 and 27.
Mr Aiken told RTÉ News that the singer was “devastated” by the decision.
The singer, said Mr Aiken, was upset that 160,000 fans would not now be able to see his shows on the cancelled dates.
Many Donegal fans of the star queued for days to get tickets.
He said that the Croke Park performances had grown from an initial two shows to a much bigger customised production, which would be a “once-off event” that would not be replicated anywhere else in the world.
The production costs were scaled on this basis and it was not possible to simply stop two of the shows, he said.
He said Aiken Promotions had been in daily contact with the council since the earliest stages of planning the concerts and it had never been indicated at any point that there was going to be a problem staging five shows.
Already there have been numerous offers of alternative venues but the Aviva has already been ruled out.
It’s thought all five shows will be either cancelled – or moved en bloc to a new venue.
But accommodating 80,000 people at each gig will be impossible, with Slane already also ruled out.