A Co Donegal man accused of dangerous driving causing eight deaths will go on trial on Tuesday next, July 22nd.
Shaun Kelly appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court today to face the charges.
State barrister Patricia McLoughlin told Judge Matthew Deery that the trial was ready to go ahead and asked for the case to be put in for trial on Tuesday next.
Defense barrister Peter Nolan said the trial would take a week and could possibly go into a second week.
The trial has been adjourned on a number of occasions already.
However, Judge John O’Hagan had previously told both prosecution and defence that he is making a peremptory order that the trial will start this term.
He said at Donegal Circuit that he was aware that delays created a great deal of discomfort and pain for the families of the eight people who died.
A number of family members of those killed in the crash outside Clonmany in July 11th, 2010 were present in court yesterday (Mon) as they have been on a number of occasions.
State barrister Ms McLoughlin also asked for a German interpreter for one of the witnesses in the case.
Mr Kelly, 24, of Ballymagan, Buncrana, was the driver of the car in which seven of his friends died and the driver of a car coming in the opposite direction was also killed.
The people who died in the crash on July 11th, 2010 were Hugh Friel (66), Urris, Clonmany, Eamon McDaid (22) of Ballymagan, Buncrana; Mark McLaughlin, (21) of Ballinahone, Fahan; Paul Doherty (19), of Ardagh, Ballyliffen; Ciaran Sweeney (19), of Ballyliffen; PJ McLaughlin (21), of Rockstown, Burnfoot; James McEleney (23), of Meenaduff, Clonmany and Damien McLaughlin (21), of Umericam, Buncrana.