This week, the team at Castle Grove Country House Hotel are sharing some great ideas for pampering your mum this Mother’s Day, along with a delicious Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe:
Mother’s Day is a celebration of mums all over the world, although the actual holiday originated in the US in the early 1900’s, it has been adopted by other countries and integrated into existing celebrations and traditions amongst many cultures.
In Ireland and the UK Mother’s Day derived from an old Christian holiday known as Mothering Sunday, commemorating the church and it traditionally fell on the fourth Sunday of Lent, hence we follow this calendar date.
Regardless of when we celebrate the day, the message is the same throughout the world, it’s a day to celebrate mums for everything they do and have done for us. They encourage us, support us, help us, laugh with us, cry with us and we should take a moment to celebrate them and thank them, so to all you mums out there… thank you for being you!!
Here are a few ways we thought might be nice to pamper mum this Mother’s Day
- Don’t allow her to do any chores this Sunday, no cooking, cleaning, not even a single dish, after all it is her day!
- Treat her to breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea or dinner, whether at home with her favourite dish or take her to a special restaurant in your area.
- Take her somewhere special, is there somewhere she enjoys? Perhaps a walk on the beach, a trip to the local garden centre, shopping or simply visiting family and friends, remember some of the best memories are shared sitting around the table with a cup of tea laughing and telling stories.
- Treat her to something special, a nice gift doesn’t have to break the budget, can be personalized from you, just take the time and thought and make it special and meaningful, could be an old photo restored/framed for example.
- Pamper her, take her out for a treat, something she may not do unless it were a special occasion- a trip to the hairdresser or the nail salon.
- Take care of an odd job that she may have been putting off, something around the house, in the garden or a difficult repair job inside the home.
- Get the family involved if possible, we all know how much mums love the children and the grandchildren, perhaps a nice handmade personalized card or bunch of flowers from the garden or home baked treats.
- Most of all tell her how much she means to the family, how much she is loved and appreciated and take that moment to actually say THANK YOU MUM!!!
See the pics and recipe below for some quick and easy ideas.
Castle Grove Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe for batch of 25:
250 g plain flour
2g baking powder
170g melted butter
220g brown sugar
100g caster sugar
15g of vanilla extract
1 additional egg yolk
330g chocolate chips (more is always optional☺)
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees celsius
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl
- Cream the melted butter and sugar
- Beat in vanilla extract and the eggs
- Then sift add the sifted flour mix
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Portion the mixture into heaped tablespoons and gently press onto grease proof paper on a baking tray.
- Bake for 10 mins
- Allow to cool