More than sixty families have received Stage 2 humanitarian assistance payments from the Department of Employment and Social Protection following the catastrophic flooding that struck Donegal two and a half months ago.
The Stage 2 payments are to assist families to replace items of furniture and electrical goods lost in the flooding which hit Inishowen on August 22 and 23 this year.
Government Chief Whip Joe McHugh TD said more than 140 families were also given emergency payments in the initial Stage 1 phase to help with the purchase of food and clothing in the hours after the flooding.
Stage 3 payments will cover more long-term repairs such as rewiring and re-plastering of affected homes.
“All three stages of the scheme have been operating since August 23 with 61 families having already availed of Stage 2 payments,” said Minister McHugh.
“A further 15 payments for Stage 2 are pending and to date more than €260,000 has been paid out to families. I’m grateful to Minister Regina Doherty and her Department staff who are continuing to work to deliver the humanitarian assistance programme.
“The final stage of payments – to repair homes – has so far paid out to three families with another three payments pending. A number of other claims are expected as repair to homes continue.”
Cllr Bernard McGuinness said: “I want to thank Social Protection staff in Carndonagh and Buncrana who have worked diligently for the past 10 weeks to help affected families to get back on their feet.
“I would urge all families who have availed of Stage 1 and Stage 2 payments so far and who require assistance in home repairs to apply for Stage 3 help now.”
The Government has not set a limit on the amount that can be paid to an individual household under this scheme.
Levels of payment depend on the relative severity of damage experienced and the household’s ability to meet these costs ensuring that the funding is appropriately targeted.
The scheme is demand led and there is a time-lag between the flooding event and actual claims for financial support. Total payments to date are some €263,000.
It is unclear at this time the total level of funding that will be required to return homes to a habitable condition however it is expected that the value of payments under the scheme will increase as we continue to move into Stage 2 and Stage 3 supports.
In relation to the flooding incident in Killybegs on the 4th of October, to date only one householder has submitted an application to the Department for assistance and an Officer of the Department has visited the person in question.Tags: