Industrial action by pathologists at Letterkenny University Hospital has been averted after confirmation that an upgrade to mortuary facilities is to go to tender.
Donegal Daily understands that pathologists had lobbied the HSE in recent months over conditions at the mortuary.
So annoyed were pathologists with conditions that they planned to stop carrying out post-mortems from Tuesday next.
However, it has now been confirmed that a detailed submission for funding has gone to HSE estates.
A HSE statement confirmed “There is an on-going programme of works underway in Letterkenny University Hospital over the last number of years as part of the hospital rebuild programme. The Mortuary refurbishment project is planned as part of this programme.
“The design phase for the mortuary refurbishment has been completed and the Saolta Group / LUH have made a detailed submission for funding to HSE Estates to undertake these works.
“At present Saolta / LUH have not received confirmation that funding is allocated for this project in 2018; however, we are continuing to work closely with HSE Estates to progress the project.”
Deputy Pat the Cope Gallagher said he has been working on a resolution to the matter in recent days.
He said he had been very concerned by the situation as he understood there had been no capital funding available for the project this year.
He said “I have been in constant contact with the HSE, the pathologist’s office and the county coroner over the issue over the past ten days.
“I convinced the HSE about the serious implications if 150 post mortems each year had to be carried out in Sligo.
“The consequenecs of this are too hoorenodus to contemplate so I’m delighred to have played to part in finding a resolution to this problem.”
Donegal TD Joe McHugh said he too hoped that any proposed action by pathologists could be averted.
“Having raised concerns on this it is my understanding that the Health Service Executive (HSE) are working with the Department on this and I hope the proposed action can be averted.
“My understanding is the next step will be for the Health Service Executive to go to tender with the project,” he said.Tags: