A shocking incident with a household appliance this week has prompted many families to take extra care at home.
A family had a lucky escape when their dishwasher malfunctioned in their kitchen. They were fortunate that nobody was home during the day, but the incident has been shared across social media as a warning to others.
The ‘Letterkenny Babies’ parent group posted the alert to warn people to never leave electrical appliances running overnight or unattended.
The warning said: “Please share this to let people aware how dangerous it is to leave the dishwasher or any household appliance unattended when switched on.
“Do not go to bed with these left on as it would be a different story for my family this morning. I came home from work to this yesterday evening, the whole house is destroyed with soot and smoke in every inch and corner. We were very lucky there was no structural damage or the whole house didn’t go up in flames and no one got hurt. The smell of burning throughout the whole house is so toxic and can’t be lived in for a while especially with small kids.
“I just want everyone to be aware this can happen…we were very lucky with the outcome as it could have been worse!”
The Donegal Fire Service are encouraging people to share the story as a reminder that electrical appliances can fail and start a fire.
For information on Fire Safety in your home, check out firesafetyweek.ie/fire_safety_tipsTags: