Cllr Patrick McGowan, Cathaoirleach of the Stranorlar MD, is calling on all businesses in Donegal to respond to the Consultation by Irish Water on developing a new water charging framework for businesses or non-domestic water users.
Irish Water are working with the Commission for Regulation of Utilities to deliver a new charging framework that will harmonise business charges nationwide.
The Commission is holding a public consultation on the proposed charging framework in 2018. Everyone is encouraged to participate in the process.
Closing date is 15th August 2018.
1. Irish Water charges business customers the rates applied by Councils as at 31st December 2013. There have been no changes to charges since 2013.
2. The cost per cubic metre ranges from €1.59 in Kildare to €3.04 in Wicklow. The charge in Donegal is €2.31 . Of the 35 councils, Donegal is 10th highest. Overall there are over 500 different price points in operation.
3. The Commission’s principles are: Equitable Charges, Incentivise Efficiency, Cost Recovery, Stability and Simplicity.
4. The New Charges aim to reflect the actual costs of providing water services. There will be increases or decreases in charges for businesses.
5. There will be a transition to any New Charges over a number of years starting in late 2019.Tags: