The people of Kilmacrennan have launched their own unique campaign to enhance their community through some healthy competition.
The village is in the throes of an exciting election campaign as they look to elect an ‘unofficial’ community Mayor.
Three local faces have thrown their hat in the ring – Paddy O’Connor, Susan Shields and Pat Kerr.
To win, the candidates must battle it out to raise the most money for a major community project.
Kilmacrennan has recently benefited from a new playground and a local committee is working on developing a new state-of-the-art sports facility.
However, big amenity projects require money, and so the residents are taking matters into their own hands to raise enough to cover the costs.
Candidates Paddy, Susan and Pat each have their own local projects that they hold close to their hearts. Their campaigns are driven by the knowledge that 50% of what they raise goes to the Kilmacrennan Community Development scheme and 50% goes to the organisations that are supporting them.
Paddy O’Connor is supported by Kilmacrennan Celtic, Patricia Kerr is backed by Richard Kerr Racing and Susan Shields has the Kilmacrennan Young at Heart Group by her side.
The election campaign is the talk of the town, with all three candidates planning a host of events to raise money for the causes.
This week, the Kilmacrennan Community Development Group successfully secured funding of €157,416 from DLDC for their new AstroTurf Pitch.
The funding will cover approx 75% of what is needed. The total cost of works is estimated at €200,000. That leaves the remaining 25% to be covered by the community.
There has been a lot of work done already. The locals have part-funded the building of a new playground with the help of a €60,000 LEADER grant. They are also planning to build a new Football Pitch and are working on grant applications for this in 2019.
It is hoped that the three mayoral hopefuls can boost the community drive to raise the remaining money needed.
But who are they? Let’s meet the candidates:
Paddy Pat is ‘the man to get things done’. The young local says his fellow Kilmacians need young blood and it’s his time to shine.
It’s time to make Kilmacrennnan great again with its new astroturf and soccer pitch, says Paddy.
“Brexit might happen but with Paddy Pat as Mayor Kilmacrennan will be in safe hands” – so says his electoral message!
With support from Kilmacrennan Celtic Paddy has organised these local events to fundraise for his side:
- Friday the 30th of November – Ladies Night in Kilmacrennan Hall.
- Saturday the 1st of December – Breakfast in the Clubhouse followed by a Charity Football Match after everyone has had their fill at the breakfast.
- Friday 7th of December – Family Walk in Glenveagh at 7pm, organised by Kilmac Celtic.
- 12th of December – Fashion Show with a Twist in Kilmacrennan Hall at 7.30pm.
Everyone welcome. Be sure to join in the fun and show your support for Paddy at his events.
Click here to donate to the Paddy Pat for Mayor – Go Fund me
Susan Shields has been a stalwart of Kilmacrennan all her life and is very passionate about her hometown, she can often be seen out cutting hedges, planting flowers or painting walls, anything to make sure Kilmacrennan is presented in the best possible way.
Susan says she is the woman to the be the voice of the village. With an election motto of ‘change we can believe in’, Susan says Kilmac can count on her to make a difference.
With support from Kilmacrennan Young at Heart Susan’s events are as follows:
- Monday the 24th of November – A hamper will be raffled in Kelly’s Centra.
- Friday the 30th of November – Card Night (25 card drive) – Kilmacrennan National School at 8.30pm.
- Saturday the 1st of December – A Night at the Races will be held in Carrs of the Diamond at 8.30pm.
- Saturday the 8th of December – An Auction Night will be held in The Wee Bar in Downings (time to be confirmed).
- Friday the 14th of December – Xmas Jumper night in Nora’s Bar at 9pm. There will also be a raffle with great prizes on the night.
- Wednesday the 26th of December (Boxing Day) at 12noon – A Sponsored Walk will be held on the beautiful Marble Hill Beach (this will shake the cobwebs off you and be great for anyone who has overindulged on the Christmas Pudding).
***Everyone welcome. Be sure to join in the fun and show your support for Susan at all her events***
If you can’t attend the events but still want to Support Susan in her quest for Mayor – click on the link below to make a donation:
Susan Shields for Mayor – Go Fund Me
Pat came to Donegal 38 years ago with three small children and has been heavily involved with the community ever since.
Pat was a leader of the Girls Brigade for 30 years and is also a member of the P.W. in church and a singer in the choir.
Pat’s campaign is focused on improving services for local children and elderly people in particular. She has proposed a wide range of events and activities that will benefit many villagers – from a creche to a day centre, to the revival of the festival and the introduction of craft evenings and walking/running clubs.
Pat is also very well-known for her Christmas spirit and community spirit.
With support from Richard Kerr Racing, Pat’s events are as follows:
- Friday 16th November – table quiz in Carrs of the Diamond, Ballyare at 9.30pm.
- Saturday the 17th of November – Bake sale in Kilmacrennan Hall from 11-1pm.
- Friday the 30th of November – Give us a Clue in Nora’s Bar at 8pm.
- Saturday the 15th of December – Indoor Market in Kilmacrennan Hall from 11-3pm.
- Everyone welcome. Be sure to join in the fun and show your support for Pat at all her events.
If you can’t attend the events but still want to Support Pat in her quest for Mayor – click on the link below to make a donation: Pat Kerr for Mayor – Go Fund Me
This election campaign will be closely watched by the people of Kilmac as they support their chosen candidate and enjoy fundraising events in the coming months, all in support of bettering their community amenities.
The winner and first community Mayor will be revealed on 30th December.
Follow the www.facebook.com/KilmacrennanCommunityDevelopmentGroup on Facebook to keep up with the campaign and local development project.