One thing that is very popular at this time of year is the Christmas themed coffees and that is the focus this week of Donegal Daily’s fitness columnist Emmet Rushe.
It should be said, that most of these aren’t actually coffee and are more of a variety of calorific hot chocolates that sell by the thousands.
So, which of these are the worst for your waistline?
As with anything, it is usually the ones that taste the best.
- COSTA GINGERBREAD LATTEThis is a Christmas favourite.CostasGingerbread Latte.
This is hugely popular over the festive period and for good reason. 🎅
It tastes great.
But, this does come at a cost, and that cost is almost 400 calories.
7g of carbs
24.2g of sugar
14.9g of fat.
This is almost a meals worth of calories in one drink.
- Gingerbread FrappuccinoAs I only drink coffee in Starbucks. I didn’t know there was a difference between a Gingerbread latte and a Gingerbread Frappuccino.Turns out there are almost 100 calories of a difference
The Gingerbread Frappuccino comes in at 480 calories while the gingerbread latte comes in at 392 calories.
The carbs and sugar are almost DOUBLE of the latte also.
Coming in at 80g carbs and 79g sugar, compared to 42g carbs and 39g sugar in the latte.
- Billionaire Hot Chocolate from Costa CoffeeThis is going to be very popular this year.Coming in at 528 calories with 63g of carbs and 52g of sugar.
It is a whopper to say the least.
If you are still planning on treating yourself, go for a small to save yourself some calories.
- Café Neró’s Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate. Again, it’s another seemingly innocent Christmas themed drink and you wouldn’t think it could do that much damage.Unfortunately, you’d be wrong.
A large version of this comes in at 623 calories and has 5g of carbs.
77.7g of this is sugar and has 25g of fat also.
While this is higher in calories, there are higher to come.
- Hot chocolate with everything on it.We look at Costa Coffee Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows and Whipped cream.Basically, it’s the works.
Everything is on this, the ultimate indulgence, and the calories show this.
This is the largest number of calories out if all the drinks I looked at.
Coming in at;
4g of carbs
68.5g of sugar
34.2g of fat
If you were to have a Christmas cookie along with this, you’d be taking in over a thousand calories for a snack.
There you have it. The top 5 Christmas themed drinks, that are the highest in calories.
Could you make them fit into your diet?
Anything is possible, but you wouldn’t be indulging too often on this if you were looking for weight loss or to just maintain a bit of control over the festive period.
Again, as with everything moderation is key.
My New Lean in 2019 Challenge kicks off January 7th.
There has been a huge amount of interest in these classes this year and are sure to sell out.
Don’t leave it too long to book.
Contact me through the link below for more information.