Local parents are being urged to talk to their children about safety, alcohol and drugs ahead of the upcoming teenage disco in Letterkenny.
A pre-Christmas underage disco is taking place in Letterkenny on Friday 29th November from 9pm to midnight.
Before the event, Gardaí have issued the following advice for parents:
- Please ensure that you are aware of your child’s travelling arrangements and of whom they will be attending the disco with.
- Ensure that your child has their phone charged and has credit on it.
- Please ensure that your child only has adequate money with them to gain entry to the disco, for the bus and a little extra. Having too much money with them will only leave them in a vulnerable position where temptation is concerned.
- Please check all bags that your child may take from home with them and ensure that there is no alcohol contained in them.
- Speak openly and honestly to your child about alcohol and drugs and the associated harm before allowing them to attend the Junior disco.
- Please ensure that there is an adult available at home who would be in a position to get into a car and come and collect the child should the need arise. Sometimes parents unfortunately do receive a call from Gardaí to collect their child who may have been taken to the Garda Station for one reason or another. In the event of your child being taken into our custody we immediately call a parent or guardian to collect them.