Christmas is just around the corner and the dark evenings are upon us – which is a prime time for burglars to target homes.
Gardaí in Donegal have issued an advice checklist for homeowners to follow to stop criminals doing their Christmas shopping at their house.
“Taking small precautions could save you a fortune should you be unfortunate enough to have an uninvited guest enter your home,” a spokesperson said.
Tips to follow for home security this Christmas:
- Please do not keep large amounts of cash in your home.
- If you have valuable jewellery, please ensure that you have it secured in a safe/cabinet.
- Please ensure that doors and windows are secure when leaving your home and set your alarm.
- If you do not have an alarm, please consider getting one that is monitored.
- Invest in some good lighting for around your home.
- Never ever post on social media if you are going away as you are advertising the fact that your home is empty.
- Please look out for old and vulnerable neighbours and please advise them against keeping cash etc. in their home.
- Please report any suspicious activity in your area to Gardaí.