Terrified residents at one of Donegal’s most iconic tourist locations have closed the area to visitors.
Landowners in and around Sliabh Liag were left inundated with more than 800 visitors on Sunday despite calls for people only to travel if necessary.
The visitor’s centre has been closed since last week as the outbreak of the coronavirus took hold.
But that didn’t stop hundreds of visitors from using the pathways around the huge cliffs.
Now locals are erecting signs and blocking walkways across their land in a bid to curb more visitors from arriving.
Local Independent County Councillor Niamh Kennedy said she fully supports the move.
She told Donegal Daily “The cliffs and walkways around Sliabh Liag are stunning and we are normally delighted to have visitors but not at this time.
“On Sunday there were more than 800 people there and locals in Carrick and Teelin and the surrounding areas were terrified because of the threat from the coronavirus.
“We are putting up signs and asking people to stay away for the moment until al this passes.
“We simply cannot take the chance,” she said.Tags: