DONEGAL race walker Brendan Boyce has called on the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to postpone the 2020 Olympic Games.
The IOC met yesterday to discuss their options – which include pushing the games back until 2021 – amid the increasing spread of the COVID-19 virus around the world.
At the very least, the Games will not begin as scheduled on July 24, but the IOC yesterday decided to give a four-week deadline before making a decision.
Finn Valley AC’s Boyce already sealed his place in Tokyo and, following a sixth-placed finish at last year’s World Championships, was well primed for his third Olympics.
“In 2020 it’s not about me or my health or my ambitions,” Boyce, who has competed at the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games at London and Rio, said.
“It’s about supporting everyone around me and the health of the global population.
“I am more than happy to punish myself put myself through hell to wear the green of Ireland on the biggest stage but I will not be part of the problem, a vector for disease that will harm or kill others.
“We cannot in good conscience risk the health of globe for pride or stubbornness or money.”
Several leading sporting figures have called on the IOC to make what seems an inevitable decision and Boyce has added his voice to those feelings.
The Milford man said: “Please let the IOC come to it’s senses. Postpone now. The world demands it.”Tags: