The government is being urged to bring in extra supports for older people after the Covid-19 Hardship Fund was forced to close early due to high demand.
The fund was created by Age Action and Red Cross to help older, vulnerable people who were struggling financially during Covid-19.
However, due to the volume of applications received, the closing date was brought forward to 5pm today (Friday). The original deadline was the end of August.
“It is clear that even Age Action and the Red Cross did not anticipate the level of hardship currently being experienced by older people in this crisis,” said Donegal Deputy Pádraig Mac Lochlainn.
The Sinn Fein TD said the government must do more to support older people at this time.
Deputy Mac Lochlainn commented: “Earlier this month, Sinn Féin criticised the exclusion of over 66s from the financial supports available to other workers as the government refused to allow over 66s access the Covid-19 Unemployment Payment.
“While I commend Age Action and the Red Cross for their very worthwhile initiative and efforts in securing funding, it is clear that it is now time for the government to step up to the plate and provide additional financial supports to vulnerable older people that are struggling through this crisis.”