Beachgoers in Donegal are being advised to look out for potentially dangerous jellyfish called Lion’s Mane.
Several of the giant jellyfish have washed up on Northern Ireland beaches this week.
While none have been reported in Donegal yet, the Lion’s Mane has been spotted locally during the summer time in previous years.
Dog owners in particular have been warned to keep their pets away from touching the creatures.
“As far as we know no Lion’s Mane Jellyfish have been spotted on any Inishowen beaches. Please be mindful of these, keep a good eye on your dogs!,” said Lough Swilly RNLI volunteers.
The lion’s mane has a powerful sting in its tentacles which can cause severe pain and anaphylactic shock.
A sting from a Lion’s Mane jellyfish can cause nausea, sweating, cramps, headaches and other symptoms.
If you have been stung, the HSE advice is to remove yourself from the water / vicinity of the jellyfish and seek help and advice from lifeguards if you are on a lifeguarded beach. More informaton is available at : https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/hl/water/bathing/jellyfish-in-irish-coastal-waters.html