Donegal Airport has taken off with the award for the World’s Most Scenic Airport – for the THIRD year running!
The coastal Carrickfinn airport team are on a high today with the news of their three-in-a-row success.
The title is awarded by PrivateFly, who asked thousands of world travellers to vote for their favourite airports for take-off and landing.
Donegal topped the poll this year again for its stunning views and for the warm local welcome each passenger receives from staff. The rural airport has once again beaten exotic locations such as Tanzania, French Polynesia and Fiji.
Those who travel from Donegal Airport are treated to breath-taking coastal scenes due to the location of runway in West Donegal. Spectacular mountains, golden sand beaches and picturesque islands are just some of the features spotted from planes when they land – and it’s no surprise its a favourite for pilots, passengers and parachute jumpers alike.
Seventy-four of the world’s most unique airports were in the running for awards this year.
Here are the Top 10 2020 winners:
1. Donegal Airport – Ireland
2. Msembe Airstrip – Tanzania
3. Skiathos (Alexandros Papadiamantis) Airport – Greece
4. Orlando (Melbourne) International Airport – USA
5. Barra Airport – Scotland
6. Bora Bora (Motu Mute) Airport – French Polynesia
7. St Maarten (Princess Juliana) International Airport – St Maarten
8. Praslin Island Airport – Seychelles
9. Dubai International Airport – United Arab Emirates
10. Nadi International Airport – Fiji
In praise of Donegal Airport, voters said:
“Stunning varied scenery including mountains sea and beautiful beaches in the vicinity of the airport and beyond throughout the whole of county Donegal. Exceptionally friendly and welcoming people to greet you on arrival.”
“You can see all the islands, beautiful beaches. Errigal and the Rosses on the approach. Truly wild Atlantic way!!”
“It’s just the most wonderful scenery in the world…”