Donegal Action for Cancer Care has raised €700 from a fundraising raffle – when went on a lot longer than anticipated!
Mary McDaid, a member of the campaign group, decided in January 2020 that she would like to hold a draw/ raffle for both the Donegal Hospice and DACC. But who would have thought life would change so much in a few weeks?
The draw was set to take place on Easter Monday in Arena7 Letterkenny, but the pandemic threw a spanner into the works.
Fast forward to September, the organisers decided to go ahead with the raffle last Sunday and give out some wonderful prizes donated by local businesses. A total of €697.66 was raised, despite all the current fundraising challenges.
Betty Holmes of DACC tells the story of the many ups and downs of hosting this raffle:
“The Donegal Hospice was contacted on the 15th Jan requesting permission to add them to this draw and to the application for a Lottery Permit from An Garda. The draw would take place on Easter Monday in Arena 7 – so they thought.
“So with permission given the permit was secured on the 28th Jan. Mary got to work going to local businesses asking for prizes. The support for the fundraiser she got as great. What great local businesses we have thank you.
“With permission got from the Donegal Hospice, permit obtained and prizes secured Mary set to work doing up her sheets to sell lines. By end of February she was on the road and then came the announcement on the 12th March – bang came the real impact of Covid 19. Social distancing, obeying the government regulations and lockdown all had to be rightfully obeyed. So how can you sell lines if you can’t go out?
“So we write again to An Garda seeking an extension to the permit till Bank Holiday Monday in June and Permit was extended. We also notified the Donegal Hospice and also wrote to the businesses that had sponsored the prizes updating them. Respect and accountability is very important. And in the middle of this was the fact that some lines and sheets had been sold to people in good faith. Again worries over accountability, what about those who had bought the lines.
“Long story short a further permit extension was sought and granted till Halloween 31st Oct. But Covid was still here and no signs of going! Then we had the realisation we need to check the expiry dates on the amazing good prizes very generously given in good faith.”
“So after checking with Arena 7, updating An Garda and Donegal Hospice the draw/ raffle was brought forward till Sunday 13th Sept. Social Distancing and Regulations being obeyed the raffle/draw took place in Arena 7. The amount raised despite Covid 19 and in a very limited time of a couple of weeks was €697.66 excellent.”
Winners and prize sponsors:
List of prizes
1) An Grianan Hotel Burt Bed and Breakfast with evening meal for two. Winner-John Mc Daid Churchill
2) Hamper= Mary Mc Daid and friends= value €70.00 Winner- Cara Quinn Churchill
3) Arena 7- Gift Card = €50.00 Winner-Conor Mc Grenra Gartan
4) Tin Tai Chinese Restaurant =Gif Voucher=€50.00- Winner-CJ Grant Glenswilly
5) Clanree Hotel Gift Voucher Sunday Lunch for two- Winner-Mary Rose Dullaghan Glenswilly
6) Station House Hotel Gift Voucher Sunday Lunch for two- Winner-Sarah Deans Glenswilly
7) Silver Tassie Hotel Gift Voucher €49.00 Sunday Lunch for two- Winner-Danya Kelly Glenswilly
8) Kernans Newtowncunningham 2x €10 vouchers plus bottle of Domador Reserva Wine Winner-Lucy Peoples Milford
9) W.E and GC Harkin Chiropodist Gift Voucher €25.00 plus boxes of Roses. Rose Boylan Winner-Aidan and Matthew Mc Grath Glenswilly
10) Tinney’s Coal and Oil Voucher €25.00 Winner-Peter Doherty Churchill
11) Gildea Traditional Farm Butchers Voucher €20.00 Winner- Kelly Holmes Letterkenny Town
12) Joe Mc Gee Butchers Glencar and Letterkenny Shopping Centre 2x €10.00 Gift Vouchers. Winner-Bridget Ann Gallagher Glenswilly
13) Magees Pharmacy Main Street Letterkenny Gift Set Winner- Eddie Mc Daid Cavan
14) Mc Fadden’s Pharmacy Larkin House Old Town Road- Gift Set Winner-Emily Peoples Milford
Our very sincere thanks to An Garda, the businesses who sponsored the prizes and very importantly, to the people who bought lines all those months ago. Thank you all.Tags: