WHILE the Donegal SFC final between Naomh Conaill and Kilcar has been postponed from this weekend, several other clubs and organisations are currently on temporary Covid-19 suspensions.
The Donegal Competitions Controls Committee (CCC) held a meeting via Zoom on Tuesday afternoon and decided to postponed the fixture.
Defending champions Naomh Conaill and Kilcar will now go head-to-head on Wednesday, October 7.
Kilcar confirmed on Monday that a member of their panel had returned a positive Covid-19 test and ceased activities as a precautionary measure.
A member of the Donegal senior squad tested positive for the coronavirus on Friday. The rest of the county panel went into self-isolation – including the eight players from the two county finalists.
Naomh Conaill players Ciarán Thpmpson, Eoghan McGettigan, Ethan O’Donnell and Jeaic Mac Ceallabhuí are members of the Donegal squad as are Patrick McBrearty, Ryan McHugh, Eoin McHugh and Andrew McClean of Kilcar.
In the last nine days, there have been 140 new cases of Covid-19 in Donegal – just shy of 20 per cent of the total number in the county since the outbreak – and the increase has had a knock-on effect on sport.
This evening’s Donegal U14 final between Buncrana and Gaoth Dobhair, which had been scheduled for O’Donnell Park, has been postponed.
Buncrana GAA club yesterday confirmed a positive Covid-19 case within the club and added: “Our club will remain closed until Friday 25th September 2020. This decision will be reviewed by the Club Executive on Friday 25th and a further decision will be made in accordance with HSE guidelines.”
Naomh Colmcille GAA club also announced a temporary suspension of activity after a positive Covid-19 case was confirmed.
The Inishowen GAA Board have imposed a suspension of all games with immediate effect while the Donegal LGFA has taken a similar action for underage games in all regions of Donegal.
St Mary’s GAA club last week ceased activity and they confirmed that the suspension continues on underage activity until further notice.
The Convoy-based club said: “This decision was taken with the health and safety of all club players, coaches, managers, Covid supervisors, members, and for the wider community in our parish and county.
“We feel the need to take this action now, thus leading the way in protecting our community from becoming further infected by Covid-19.”
Sunday’s Ulster Junior Cup semi-final between Kildrum Tigers and Aileach FC was also postponed after Kildrum announced a suspension of their activity. That game now remains in ongoing uncertainty following a positive Covid-19 case.
Fintown Harps yesterday confirmed that a senior squad member had tested positive for Covid-19 and say that activity has stopped ‘for the foreseeable future’ while Mulroy Academy have further suspended activity for another 48 hours.
“While Mulroy Academy are currently awaiting a covid test result from a family in the club, the management committee are informed this morning that a further family with children in teams in the club have been instructed to test,” they explained.
“Therefore, the club are left with no option but to further suspend activities in the club for 48 hours. A further update will be provided on Friday morning. Apologies to players, parents and coaches for the ongoing inconvenience but we have a responsibility to manage and minimise the risk of Covid-19 spreading within the club.”Tags: