THE ASTI is to return to talks with the Department of Education on the 2021 Leaving Certificate.
The union withdrew from discussions on Thursday over unhappiness with the direction of the talks, noting that it felt the proposal tabled was ‘not viable’.
However, the ASTI has now confirmed that it will re-enter talks and ‘constructively engage’ in the process.
After Minister for Education Norma Foley gave an ‘unequivocal commitment’ to hold the Leaving Cert, the union says that its concerns have been ‘substantially alleviated’.
“The Minister has committed to working with stakeholders to strengthen the position in this regard,” a statement said.
“The ASTI has been assured that the requirement for teachers to provide a list of their students in rank order of merit, like they did last year, will not feature in any corresponding/parallel measure that may be implemented this year.
“ASTI will now re-enter the bilateral discussions process. We will continue to constructively engage to seek to ensure ways are found to facilitate this year’s Leaving Certificate students in moving on with their lives.”
Talks will continue on how oral and practical exams will feed into the process.Tags: