Many construction workers across Donegal and the rest of the country will return to work today.
It’s estimated that more than 20,000 construction workers will return to work on residential, early-learning and childcare sites as Covid-19 restrictions ease.
However, some parts of the industry remain stagnant since January 8th due to pandemic regulations.
Only work on essential health, social housing, housing adaptation grant, critical transport and utility infrastructure, education, certain foreign direct investment related and nearly completed home projects was allowed to continue.
The remainder of the sector is not due to pick up tools again until May 4th.
As a result, last week nearly 53,000 construction workers were in receipt of the Pandemic Unemployment Payment, down from nearly 60,000 at the start of March.
However, the Construction Industry Federation (CIF) says frustration remains that restrictions will persist for the remainder of the sector until May 4, keeping an additional 20,000 construction workers out of work.
From that date the Government has said it will consider allowing the rest of sites to reopen subject to prevailing health conditions at the time.
The industry body argues that Ireland has been the only country in Europe where the construction sector has been partially shut down.