THE MICA Redress scheme has been slammed by Donegal TDs in the Dáil.
Thousands of Donegal families have been affected by the MICA scandal which has seen houses literally crumble because of faulty building blocks.
At the weekend, over 10,000 people marched to demand a 100 per cent redress scheme.
The cost for many to join the Redress Scheme and to have various reports done on their homes is more than €5,000, which the protests heard many simply do not have.
Deputy Joe McHugh told the Dáil last evening that in 20 years he has ‘never seen an issue which caused so much stress, anxiety and fear.’
He said: “We accepted the scheme at the time on the basis that it may work. The scheme is not working. It won’t work, it can’t work. it’s mot working for so many people.
“The goalposts have completely shifted from this time last yea.r It has to be reviewed immediately and it has to be looked at on the basis of acceptability.”
I took the opportunity tonight to raise the concerns around Mica, the fears & anxiety being experienced by so many in our County through no fault of their own. The scheme as it is needs to be examined & reviewed; these families are living the ultimate nightmare #micaredressscheme pic.twitter.com/GeQdoFQzIw
— Joe McHugh (@McHughJoeTD) May 25, 2021
Sinn Féin’s Padraig Mac Lochlainn said the issue was ‘utterly unacceptable.
“What we are asking for is equality. Two thousand families in Dublin and north Leinster have been supported with 100 per cent funding – and rightly so. There are thousands of families in Donegal and Mayo who have been asked to pay a second mortgage. If they’re older people, they’re homes will fall apart.”
An irate Deputy Mac Lochlainn said home owners had been left to count the cost of ‘Celtic Tiger cowboys’.
He said: “These people must be helped.
“What we are asking for is equality. It is a simple principle: You don’t leave families behind and abandon them.”Tags: