Donegal Gardai have issued guidelines following a huge spike in the number of scams operating in recent weeks.
From fake Covid payment schemes to dodgy courier payment scams, hundreds of local people have been targeted.
A Garda spokesperson said “We regularly receive reports from people who have fallen victim to various types of scams.”
Now they have issued a set of guidelines for people to follow to avoid becoming the latest victim of online or telephone fraud.
* Do not trust every text message/email or phone call that you receive.
* Never ever disclose your personal/financial details to anybody no matter who they say they are or why they say they need them.
* Never click on a link contained in an unsolicited text or email.
* Do not download an app/apps onto your phone or PC at the request of a caller, regardless of who they say they are.
* If you are in doubt, contact the bank/organisation named via a verified contact method and enquire directly.
* Please do contact us and your financial institution if you have fallen victim to a scam of any sort.