DONEGAL GAA’s Competitions Controls Committee (CCC) will meet with clubs to discuss Covid-19 procedures around Club Football Championship games.
Fixtures chiefs are concerned over the volume of games in the All-County Football League that have had to be postponed.
Already in 2021, there have been over 50 games affected across the divisions.
The various Football Championships begin in early September with clubs to be given a chance to air their opinion.
“Everything will be on the table,” CCC Secretary Ed Byrne said.
“We may look at different things. We will invite clubs and go through the procedures.”
One big issue facing the CCC is the lack of available weekends to cater for a raft of postponements.
While it is a solution that appears unlikely on the face of it, a redraw of the Championship and a change to a knockout first round could be proffered.
In Donegal, over the last 14-day period, the HSE said there had been 1,299 Covid-19 cases with the county’s incidence rate standing at 816 per 100,000 people.
As things stand, the 2021 senior football championship final is slated for the weekend ending November 7.
The Donegal champions have been drawn in the preliminary round of the Ulster Club Senior Championship, which is pencilled in just two weeks later, for the weekend ending November 21.
The large volume of postponements have left some Divisions of the League skewed with several teams playing catch-up.
Byrne said: “This (Championship) is very different as there is Ulster Club Championship and we do have deadlines.
“We had flexibility in the League and we could move the games, but we don’t have that flexibility in our Championships. We will sit down with clubs before the Championship starts.
“We will do our best to complete the nine rounds of the League before the Championship starts, but there is a strong possibility that that won’t happen.”
Tyrone’s All-Ireland SFC semi-final with Kerry – which was due for this weekend – has been put back by six days to August 22 with a third of the Red Hands panel said to be isolating.
A request from Tyrone for a deferral until the weekend of August 29 was rejected by Croke Park.
Byrne said: “With the Covid-19 related issues that we have encountered, clubs have indicated that they might be willing to play without a player, but when that extends to multiple players, it changes things for clubs. We have a lot to think about in the coming weeks.”
Earlier this week, the Termon GAA club announced that it was ceasing all club activity for a week with a Covid-19 outbreak affecting six of its teams.Tags: