Co. Donegal Education Centre has announced a competition to design a cover for its publication of the Christmas with Covid Short Story Competition Entries.
The book will be launched in November and will be available for purchase thereafter.
The aim of this competition is to give pupils in schools all over the county the opportunity to have their original art work displayed on the cover of a publication to mark a once in a lifetime event, namely the impact of Covid-19 on Christmas 2020.
The competition seeks to include the voice of students in this very important event in the county’s history. The stories will serve as an historical record of Co. Donegal’s young people’s resilience in the midst of a global pandemic. Therefore, it is only fitting that the cover of the publication should also be designed by a young person from the county.
The winning design may be adapted by a professional design team and used by the Donegal Education Centre and its publisher when producing the anthology of entries.
- The winning entry will be selected by a panel of judges.
- The winning entry will receive an I-Pad 128MB.
- All entries received will receive a certificate, provided by email.
- Closing date for receipt of entries is 30 September 2021 and late entries cannot be accepted.
Who can enter:
The competition is open to any student in primary or post-primary education .
What entries should look like:
Your cover design must contain the phrase ‘Christmas with Covid’ but should not contain any additional text.
Think about your illustration, because the artwork will be used on the cover of an A5 paperback book. Too much detailing may not come through as clearly when the cover design is reproduced en masse. The book cover design should work in colour as well as in black and white.
What format to design it in:
Your cover design can be worked in any material, for example paint, pencils, acrylic, pen, or in digital format as a high-quality jpg or PDF. You can use colour or black and white.
Important things to remember:
- Only one entry can be submitted per person
- Each email entry should clearly state the name, class and school, including school address. Please fill in the form at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KVGNKnRVek4sTpnvIH1vgZgG5TU1vN9M/view
- Any paper entry should be clearly labelled on the reverse, with the name, class and school, including school address. Pupils may include a parent’s email address and / or contact number on the entry form.
- The cover design must be original and can only be the work of the person entering.
- You cannot use anyone else’s work. By entering, you certify that the cover design does not infringe the rights of any third party and is not in violation of any copyright.
The closing date for receipt of entries is 30th September 2021 and late entries cannot be accepted.
How to send in your entry:
You should send your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to
Co. Donegal Education Centre, Floors 2/3 Pier 1, Quay Street, Donegal Town F94 A526
- Each email entry should clearly state the name, class and school, including school address and / or a parent’s contact details.
- Paper entries should be clearly labelled on the reverse, with the name, class and school, including school address and / or a parent’s contact details.
A judging panel will decide on the winning entry. This will include members of the Management Committee of Co. Donegal Education Centre. The decision of the judging panel will be final.
Use of the winning Cover Design
- The winning Cover Design / Logo may be worked on by a professional designer so that it can be adapted for use in design computer programmes.
- The winning entry will become the sole property of Co. Donegal Education Centre for use at its discretion.
- By submitting an entry, applicants accept all competition guidelines and agree to be bound by them.
- It will not be possible for entries to be returned by Co. Donegal Education Centre to entrants.