Donegal Centre for Independent Living has launched their Strategic Plan for 2021 to 2024.
DCIL’s Mission is to support and empower people with disabilities in Donegal to achieve independent living and to actively participate as equal citizens in society by having choice and control over their own lives.
In launching DCIL’s 2021-2024 Strategic Plan today, Rosaleen Doherty, DCIL’s C.E.O., reflected on the Independent Living movement from Berkley California in the early 1970s to emerge in Dublin twenty years later.
She said DCIL’s achievements have been significant but we’re not content to stand still – we boldly go forward with our new Strategic Plan and our Priorities to: Support our People, Expanding our Service Offering and Investment in new technologies and infrastructure are but a few of our priority areas.
The C.E.O. stated initiatives announced today, will see us deliver on what our stake holders, the people with disabilities, want and what they need to enable them to live their independent lives to their fullest.
Some of the initiatives announced include:
1. Extension to our existing building with inclusion of Indoor and Outdoor Sensory Gardens
2. Grant Aid Fund to support our Leaders during difficult times
3. Opportunity Fund to assist our Leaders to fully participate in society
4. Scholarship Fund designed for students with disabilities in 3rd level education
5. Employee Support Programme for our PA’s
6. Dedicated Training inhouse and external
7. Additional accessible transport vehicle
DCIL can only do this with the help of our funders, the HSE and the dedication and commitment of our Personal Assistants who provide the necessary support to our Leaders in the Community.
Guest Speaker at the event, Jason Black, Global Endurance Athlete/Mountaineer, commended the CEO, the DCIL Board and staff for their achievements and their fearless passion for change and progression for the future.
A firm believer of ‘having to believe it to see it’, he spoke of always walking in your own shoes and that often the more difficult roads lead to the beautiful destinations.