Two of Donegal’s tourism gems have won awards in the CIE Tours 31st Annual Awards of Excellence.
Sliabh Liag cliffs and Donegal Castle have earned merit awards in the category of best places to visit in Ulster.
The awards are selected based on the experiences of US tourists visiting Ireland.
The CIE Tours Awards of Excellence were first launched in 1990. This year’s awards are presented based on post-stay feedback received from nearly 20,000 customers surveyed throughout 2022.
CIE Tours, which celebrates 91 years in business is the largest operator of guided tours to Ireland in the North American market, bringing over 25,000 visitors here last year.
After a two-year hiatus due to the covid-19 pandemic, the awards returned this week to honour some of the best of Irish hospitality.
Fourteen overall award winners were announced; each achieved the highest customer rating in their category:
- Best 5 Star Hotel: Grand Central Hotel, Belfast
- Best 4 Star Hotel: Cabra Castle Hotel, Cavan
- Best 3 Star Hotel: Dooley’s Hotel, Waterford
- Best Hotel Accommodation: Dunraven Adare Hotel, Limerick
- Best Hotel Dinner: Ballygarry Estate Hotel & Spa, Kerry
- Best Hotel Service & Hospitality: Clayton Hotel, Burlington Road, Dublin
- Best Event Dinner / Entertainment: The Crosskeys Inn, Antrim
- Special Dinner Feature: Killeen House Hotel, Killarney, Kerry
- Best Tour Feature: Marine Bar, Waterford
- Best Walking Tour: Westport Walking Tour, Mayo
- Best Visit: Cliffs of Moher, Clare
- Best Lunch: Taylors Three Rock, Dublin
- Best Sheep Dog Trial: Atlantic Sheepdogs, Sligo
- National Heritage Award: Brendan Ferris Sheep Dog Trials, Kerry