A community worker in Stranorlar has expressed concern after a lit cigarette was reportedly thrown into a flower bed, setting some compost on fire.
As the dry spell continues, the government’s orange-level Fire Danger Notice remains in place to urge people to exercise caution and prevent wildfires.
However, on Wednesday, a community employment worker was preparing flower beds in Stranorlar when a passer-by threw a cigarette butt into a bed without extinguishing it.
“The beds are that dry the compost went on fire,” the community worker told Donegal Daily.
“I noticed several other beds that were blackened.”
People need to be aware of the danger and how easily a fire can start, they said.
“Even after pouring water on the patch, it continued to smoulder. Fires are easily started but hard to put out,” they said.
People are being reminded to take extra precautions to prevent wildfires in all areas where hazardous fuels such as gorse, heather, dried grasses, and other vegetation exist.
The Council is also urging landowners and members of the public not to engage in activities that could cause wildfires.
Landowners and members of the public are urged to be vigilant and to report any uncontrolled or unattended fires immediately to the fire service by dialling 999 or 112.