Gardaí have called in campers in Donegal to be security conscious.
With lots of people enjoying caravan and campervan holidays in the north west this month, gardaí say it’s important to take extra precautions to protect yourself and your belongings.
Please ensure to take these measures in order to enjoy your staycation safely:
- Ensure a good quality hitch lock and wheel clamps are in place and that the caravan is locked to a secure point
- Get an alarm fitted if one is not already in place
- Keep valuables out of sight and remove when not in use
- Ensure windows and doors are locked if leaving unattended overnight
- Use a cover when not in use. This may deter thieves as pulling off a cover can be noisy and add to the time taken to steal the caravan
- Keep good records of all serial numbers, unique markings, image of the caravan/campervan etc. Keep documents secure
- Consider voluntarily registering your caravan with the Central Registration and Identification Scheme
For further crime prevention advice on this, and on other topics, please see: https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime-Prevention/.