Main pic: McSwyne’s Castle which will be featured on Sunday morning’s history tour.
The community notes for the Dunkineely/Bruckless/Killaghtee area are out now.
Killaghtee Festival 2023
Just a couple of days now left until the big event, 25-27th August 2023. Come along and enjoy a full range of events in the Dunkineely, Bruckless and Killaghtee area. Nearly all events are free. This year’s main events include:
- Picnic in the park
- The Minertones live
- Craft market
- Kid’s sports day
- Boat trip to St. John’s Point
For more information on events, see last week’s newsletter, Facebook @DunkineelyCL or go to Killaghtee.ie.
Art in the Park
On Saturday at 1pm to 3pm and Sunday at 1pm to 2pm, Heather returns to the Killaghtee Festival for another two sessions of interactive art. Everyone will be invited to add their own portrait to the Community Wall at the Bruckless Community and Sports Centre.
This free activity is suitable for all ages and experience. Last year, Heather helped the community build the ‘Whale of Time’, an amazing piece of art, unique to the Festival. This year the community is invited to be part of the art itself.
Bruckless Bay Walking Tour
On Saturday at 1pm to 2:30pm and Sunday at 2pm to 3:30pm, meet at Bruckless Community Park for a gentle stroll down to paradise pier. Come and discover more about the heritage, environment, myths and legends of the Bay.
Learn about the special features of Donegal Bay, its rivers, mountains and the sea. How it was formed and how it has changed over time. The group will also be talking about the local environment and efforts under way to protect and conserve the area for future generations and manage change.
Join Keith Corcoran (storyteller, tour guide and preserver of legends, folklore and ancient knowledge) and Jimmy McVeigh (Community Water Officer) for what promises to be an educational, but fun, tour.
Please note that the Saturday tour may change to a History of the Bay Tour. Keep an eye on Facebook @DunkineelyCL for the latest information.
Fossils of St. John’s Point
Take a walk with local Michael Cunningham on Sunday 27th August from 10am to 11am, and find out about the fossils that are present along St. John’s Point. See what fossils you can find too!
This walking tour will traverse rocks, so sensible footwear must be worn and children must be accompanied. Michael has led several projects in the area on heritage, both natural and historic, and is a popular speaker on a range of subjects.
Meet at 54.5836, -8.4424.
The History of St. John’s Point
Meet at one of St. John’s Points greatest treasures and learn about the history and legends of the area and Donegal on Sunday 27th August from 11:30am to 12:30pm.
Learn about McSwyne’s Castle (main pic), soon to be gone forever, and the Old Killaghtee Church being conserved for the future. With talks from local historian Michael Cunningham and tales from Keith Corcoran, teller of legends and folklore.
Meet at the McSwyne Castle carpark, opposite Castle Murray House.
The boat trip will be 1.5 to 2 hours long and includes free music by Mary Gillespie. Refreshments and a full bar will be available. Tickets are on sale at www.killghtee.ie or from Floyd’s Mace until 24th August. A €1 on-line booking
Dunkineely Health Centre
All children under 8 years of age living in Ireland can now get a GP visit card. The Centre are participating in the scheme and Dr. Janinda Muhandiramge’s name will appear on the participating GP list.
The new U-8 scheme has opened for registration. The scheme is open to all children until their 8th birthday. You have to register online to avail of this scheme. Information on the scheme and the online application can be found using the following links: https://www.sspcrs.ie/portal/free-gp-care-web/pub and https://www2.hse.ie/…/schemes…/gp-visit-cards/under-8s/
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact them at the Health Centre on 074 973 7106. Children already aged 5 will automatically have their card extended and do not need to reapply.
If your child/children hold(s) a valid card for the Under 6 GP Visit Card scheme already, this card will remain valid until their 8th birthday. You do not need to reapply.
Bruckless resident and business owner Ingrid Porperkaite won Best Dressed Lady at the Sligo Races 2023. Ingrid, known to many as the person behind Ingrid’s Balloons, showed off her creative streak as she does so often in her business. Buying a hat from a local charity shop, she stopped off while driving in Donegal to pick some pink heather. The result was amazing!
- Methodist Church: Normal Sunday Services will be held at 10:30am in Ardara and 12 noon in Dunkineely. Sorry for the mix up of times in last week’s issue.
- Catholic Church: Mass will be held at the normal times. Mass can also be viewed on the ‘Bruckless Church – St Joseph and St. Conal’ Facebook page. Eucharistic Adoration is on Friday from 11am to 3pm, and on Sunday from 3pm to 4pm. Confession can be heard before weekend Masses or arrange a time by contacting Fr Brady at the Parochial House (074 973 7015).
- Church of Ireland: Sunday service at normal times. Please contact church for timetable. A clothes collection will be held 18-21st August. Friday 6 to 8pm, Saturday 10am to moon and Monday 6pm to 8pm. Drop of any items suitable for reuse, including clothes, linen, curtains, belts, bags and shoes. Please bring items bagged.
Dunkineely Celtic FC
- Donegal Physiotherapy D2: Dunkineely Celtic will begin their campaign in the Donegal Physiotherapy D2 on 3rd September, away to Drumoghill. Kick-off at 1pm.
- Seamus McCallig Tournament: The team went down 0-5 to Erne Wanderers in the 3rd round and will now face St. Catherine’s in the Shield Final, 23rd August at 7pm at home.
- Lottery: Dunkineely Celtic Lotto results for Sunday 13th August were 13, 17, 18, 19. There was no Jackpot winner. Consolation prizes of €20 each went to Tina McGinley, Amber and Robin Howley, and Margaret Duddy. The next jackpot will be €1,160.
All fixtures, results and match reports can be viewed on their website – www.naomhultan.com.
- Development Draw: The club is excited to officially launch the 5 Week Development Draw 2023. This marks the third year of the successful fundraising initiative, which has significantly contributed to the ongoing developments of Páirc Naomh Ultan. To participate, you can conveniently secure your entry online at https://www.naomhultan.com/products. Physical tickets will also be available for purchase from committee members.
- Royal Flush Lotto: Lotto results for 20/08/2023 were 2, 5, 9, 10. There was no winner of the jackpot. Consolation prizes went to Brid Gallier, Brendan White and Kathleen Kennedy. Next week’s jackpot now stands at €560. Make sure not to miss out by entering via www.naomhultan.com, the club app or local shops.
- Monthly Meeting: The next monthly meeting will take place on Monday 28th August at 8pm, upstairs in the clubhouse. As always, these meetings are open to all members.