RTE has apologised to Donegal filmmaker Neasa Ni Chianain over comments made on Radio Na Gealtachta about her film Fairytale of Kathmandu.
It said that the material broadcast in the course of this interview given by poet Paddy Bushe suggested Ms Ní Chianáin offered payment to a person to make a false statement on film.
It also suggested she had pressured another person to give pre-scripted answers to certain questions and had exploited a number of youths who participated in the programme.
RTÉ said it accepted these suggestions were entirely incorrect and unfair to Ms Ní Chianáin and wished to apologise for the hurt and distress they had caused to her and to her partner.
Ms Ní Chianáin left the court in tears. In a statement she issued later, she said she welcomed the apology.
She said it had taken two years to get final closure on the unfounded accusations and comments made in the interview.
Ms Ní Chianáin said she had had no option but to seek the apology through the courts, as she was told by the head of Raidió na Gaeltachta Edel Ní Chuireáin that RnaG would not correct the material or apologise.
She said that independent filmmakers were all vulnerable when speaking out in their work about injustices and moral bankruptcy.
Ms Ní Chianáin said as individuals, independent filmmakers did not have massive corporations behind them and did not have the resources to hire lawyers for legal actions if defamatory material is published.
‘All we have is the truth to protect us, our reputation and integrity,’ she said.
She said if this was attacked by individuals with certain agendas and that is knowingly or unknowingly facilitated by the media, then what hope was there that whistleblowers would want to come forward and warn of injustices and wrong doings.
Ms Ní Chianáin said throughout the aftermath of Fairytale of Kathmandu she was accused of many unfounded things, but she said the essential truth of the film had never been undermined.
She said if there was more effort put into establishing facts before publishing, a lot of pain and waste of resources would have been spared.
More from Donegal Daily
- JUDGE ORDERS CLLR JOHN O’DONNELL TO APPEAR IN COURT OR FACE ARREST A DISTRICT Judge has warned controversial politician John O'Donnell to appear in court next month or face arrest over a long-running failure to pay compensation to a woman injured on a building site.
Petra Kucklick, a German native from Mill Cottage, Rooskey, Creeslough, appeared […]
- LETTERKENNY LOOKING TO FEATURE THEIR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS ON RTE! RTE are looking for a local town who are promoting local shopping and Letterkenny Chamber is using the Christmas lights switch on event to showcase what a great town Letterkenny is.
The event will be recorded and sent to RTE so the more retailers and public involved the better.
- JIMMY’S WINNING MATCHES AT CELTIC – MCGUINNESS PART OF MANAGEMENT STAFF FOR FIVE-STAR VICTORY
Jim McGuinness took his place on the bench alongside Celtic manager Ronnie Delia for Celtic's 5-0 victory over Ross County earlier this afternoon.
His presence on the bench signifies the central role he's now having with the first-team at Celtic Park.
One of Delia's first moves […]
- DONEGAL’S EARLY LEARNING SCHOOLS TO FEATURE ON RTE’S NATIONWIDE
Donegal’s Early Learning Schools will feature on RTE’s Nationwide this Friday.
Earlier this summer, the popular TV show filmed at Ireland’s first outdoor school, Glen Outdoor, which is located in Barrack, Glenswilly. The school is part of a trio of Early Learning Schools in […]
- DONEGAL COUNCILLOR ACCUSES RTE OF ‘ENTRAPPING’ HIM IN BOGUS CASH FOR FAVOURS INTERVIEW
EXCLUSIVE: Embattled Donegal county councillor John O'Donnell has accused RTE of 'entrapping' him during an investigation in which they claim he asked for money for help with a wind farm development.
The Independent councillor will feature in RTE's Investigates Standards in Public […]
- PADDY IS STILL MAKING HIS ‘VOICE’ HEARD DESPITE CLOSE CALL Donegal singer Paddy Molloy is still giving it socks on RTE’s The Voice.
The Glenties man got a bit of a shock tonight when he didn’t get the vote from Kian Egan’s group to go through to the next round.
Not even his number one fan Jamelia could help get him over the […]
- DONEGAL MAN WINS GAA TRIP OF A LIFETIME A young Donegal man has staked his claim to becoming the next Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.
Damien Ó Dónaill beat off stiff competition to win the RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta/GAA commentary competition.
The Rann na Feirste man wins 2 tickets to the All-Ireland Football final and a […]
- DDTV: DONEGAL SINGER KEDAR WINS ‘THE VOICE’ BATTLE
DONEGAL singer Kedar Friis Lawrence is through to the live stages of The Voice of Ireland.
The 18-year-old student revealed on RTE tonight that he has put his Leaving Cert back a year to concentrate on his music career.
And after the winning his battle […]
- DONEGAL ARTIST SETTLES CASE AGAINST MAKERS OF HIT TV SHOW ‘LOVE/HATE’ Donegal artist Kevin Sharkey has settled a dispute with the makers of hit RTE show Love/Hate.
The Killybegs man launched legal proceedings against Octagon Films and the national broadcaster after three of his paintings appeared on the show.
The pictures appeared in the […]
- GUESS WHO IS COMING TO DONEGAL ON HOLIDAY THIS SUMMER?……CALL JOE! He is one of RTE’s biggest stars.
He earns more than €400,000 a year and could holiday anywhere in the world.
But now radio star Joe Duffy has revealed how he is planning on spending his summer holidays with his family in Donegal.
Duffy says he wants to visit Russia but also […]
- REVEALED: JUST THREE COMPANIES SUPPORTING JOE DUFFY’S FIVER FRIDAY (BUT IT’S NOT TOO LATE) Donegal has snubbed a nationwide bid by RTE presenter Joe Duffy for tomorrow's Fiver Friday.
Every year the LiveLine radio show programme launches the bargain day to help to boost businesses.
But out of the hundreds of small businesses taking part across Ireland just THREE are from […]
- RTE’S WINKING WEATHERMAN DOES U-TURN ON DONEGAL’S WEATHER FORECAST Winking weatherman John Eagleton was forced to apologise to thousands of people across Donegal – after he got the outcome of Hurricane Katia wrong.
The well-known RTE forecaster told listeners to Highland Radio at 10.15am that winds had peaked.
But Mr Eagleton was forced to come […]
- GORTAHORK FILM-MAKER GETS APOLOGY OVER GAY POET FILM SLUR IRELAND’S biggest-selling newspaper has apologised to Gortahork film-maker Neasa Ni Chianain after claims it made in 2008 and 2009.
The Sunday Independent claimed Ms Ni Chianain gave an unfair portrayal of poet Cathal O’Searcaigh in her documentary the Fairytale of Kathmandu.
- FANCY BEING PART OF RTE’S EXCITING NEW SPORTS QUIZ SHOW? Calling all sports teams, supporters and clubs around Donegal – RTE needs your help!
A brand new television sports quiz called ‘Put ‘Em Under Pressure’ is due to hit our screens in September on RTE 1.
The show sees two teas of famous sports stars and pundits go head-to-head […]
- HARD-HITTING RTE SHOW REVEALS SHAME OF DONEGAL’S DRIVERS The head of the Garda Traffic Corps in Donegal has declared that every road death is preventable.
Inspector Michael Harrison was speaking during a hard-hitting segment on RTE’s new road traffic programme.
Traffic Blues featured patrols with the Donegal Traffic Corps over two […]
- RTE’S NATIONWIDE TO FEATURE DONEGAL THIS EVENING A Nationwide special featuring some of Donegal’s most famous characters and sites is to feature on RTE this evening.
The three items to feature on this evening’s porgramme on RTE 1 at 7pm features the story of Fr.James McDyer of Glencomcille, the cliffs at Sliabh League and also the […]
- MOYA TO TELL ALL TO MIKE IN THE BIG INTERVIEW! She comes from the village of Pettigo and is now one of Ireland’s most successful businesswomen.
Now Riverdance founder Moya Doherty is to tell all about her life and times and her rise to a life of power and wealth.
Ms Doherty appears on Mike Murphy’s new RTE One show The Big […]
- RTE CHOOSE DANIEL FOR CHRISTMAS DAY EVENING SPECIAL Daniel O’Donnell’s popularity shows no sign of slowing down after RTE chose to broadcast a Christmas Day special with the man himself.
Daniel At 50 will feature the life and times of the Kincasslagh singing sensation.
The show will feature interviews with family and friends as well […]
- KILLER GALLAGHER WILL BE BACK ON THE STREETS WITHIN WEEKS Double-killer John Gallagher’s sensational return to the Central Mental Hospital will be followed by his return here to Donegal within weeks.
The case of the Lifford man featured in a special report by the Prime Time current affairs show tonight.
Among those who were interviewed is […]
- REVEALED: ILLEGAL DUMPER HASN’T PAID €12,000 FINE A BINMAN caught on camera illegally dumping in Co Donegal still hasn't paid his €12,000 fine - more than a year after his conviction, a court has heard.
Jim Ferry, of Rossbracken, Manorcunningham, but originally from Falcarragh, contested 12 charges but was found guilty after a three […]