DONEGAL TV sleuth Ciara Doherty might have caused some offence to our northern neighbours (and to quite a few on this side of the Border) in a TV3 show last night.
The 29-year-old from Letterkenny took part in an investigation into cross-Border shopping for groceries.
And while the investigation found that a 300 quid shop in the North saved just four euro – good news for business and jobs here in Donegal – it was some of her descriptions which might not go down too well.
Referring to her shop at Sainsburys in Newry as part of the TV3 Midweek show report, Ciara revealed: “I didn’t hear as many Irish accents as you would have done a few years ago.”
One donegaldaily.com reader in Derry (originally from Buncrana) asked: “Does that mean locals north of the Border have British accents?”
He added: “The whole Midweek programme portrayed the north as if it was Germany or Outer Mongolia. It really was a Dublin view and we expect more from Ciara. Last time I checked Letterkenny was still 20 minutes from Derry. And yes – 80% of people in Derry and Newry for that matter are IRISH…and guess what…they have IRISH accents too!”
And another reader emailed to say: “Good news that it’s just as cheap to shop for groceries south of the Border these days. But ‘Irish accent’s…really Ciara??? You should know better.”
© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved
The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.
Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily
Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily
Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com
More from Donegal Daily
- DONEGAL LECTURER BATTLES TO SAVE DERRY AIR LINK A Donegal lecturer, who is based in Dublin, has launched a campaign to save the Derry to Dublin air route.
The route is set to be axed on July 21st when Aer Arann pull out of the route after claiming it is simply not profitable.
However business lecturer Patricia Doherty has now […]
- ELECTION EXCLUSIVE: SHOCK AS DARA BLANEY RUNS FOR DONEGAL NORTH EAST EXCLUSIVE: Dara Blaney, the youngest son of the late Neil T Blaney has told donegaldaily.com today why he is to contest the General Election in Donegal North East.
He is a member of the New Vision alliance, as is his brother Eamon Blaney who is contesting the election in Dublin.
- EXCITEMENT BUILDING FOR DONEGAL ASSOCIATION’S GALA BALL Preparations are well under way in Dublin for the Annual Gala Ball when Deirdre McGlone from the famous Harvey’s Point in Lough Eske will be awarded the 2015 Donegal Person of the Year.
The event is taking place on the 5th of March in The Regency Hotel and a large crowd is expected to […]
- RANDOX DUNGLOE IN €25 BOWEL CANCER TEST BREAKTHROUGH SCIENTISTS at Randox in Dungloe have developed a €25 bowel cancer test kit, the company has announced.
The new blood test will spot bowel cancer at earliest stage and the simple check will ID cancer missed by existing screening.
The kit also removed the need for ‘unpleasant’ faecal […]
- UNIONIST USES BRITISH PARLIAMENT TO ACCUSE LETTERKENNY MAYOR OF MURDER THE MAYOR of Letterkenny Gerry McMonagle is said to be furious tonight after a DUP MP in the North used British parliamentary privilege to accuse him of murder.
The MP for Strangford Jim Shannon complained to the House of Commons in London that too many people suspected of IRA attacks […]
- AXED: FUNDING FOR DUBLIN/DONEGAL A5 ROAD ‘POSTPONED’ BREAKING NEWS: The Government has withdrawn funding for a major road upgrade in the North, designed to link Donegal with Dublin
It was to have provided €500m towards the cost of the A5 Derry to Aughnacloy road upgrade.
It would create a key cross-border business route linking […]
- HEARTACHE AS CONVOY LOSES COMPANY AND TEN JOBS AFTER 60 YEARS IN BUSINESS TEN people have lost their jobs at wholesale food business in Convoy.
BWG Foods says it's closing its business formerly known as Morris Brothers.
It says 17 of the 27 staff are being transferred to its Value Centre business in Letterkenny but that 10 other members of staff will […]
- FEMALE STAFF THREATENED WITH KNIVES IN ‘PROFESSIONAL’ SHOP ROBBERIES GARDAI are hunting a vicious three-man gang behind two raids on business premises in the past week.
The gang members - who spoke with foreign accents - threatened female staff in both incidents, said Supt Kevin English.
In the first incident, an assistant at a chippie in Muff had […]
- BELIEVE – DONEGAL HOLDS ITS BREATH
The Gathering will start a year ahead of schedule today.
Tens of thouands of Donegal people, many from the four corners of the globe, will be back in Donegal for the All Ireland Final, up to 40,000 of them at Croke Park (or in Dublin at least).
They may have strange lilts to […]
- DONEGAL MAN BECOMES HUGE HIT AFTER SURPRISE APPEARANCE ON AMERICAN TV EXCLUSIVE: A young Donegal man is to appear on Christmas cards for one of America’s biggest television stars after catching her eye.
Craig Magee was minding his own business while on holiday in Hollywood when he accidentally walked onto the set of the Ellen Degeneres Show.
- DONEGAL ACCOUNTANT TURNS DOWN MODEL ON FIRST EPISODE OF FIRST DATES IRELAND
A DONEGAL accountant has turned down the chance of a date with a South African model on the country's latest hit TV show
Lee (33) seemed taken aback by Frederica (25) when they appeared as a potential couple on RTE's First Dates Ireland.
During the show Federica said she was […]
- DONEGAL ACCENT IS ‘THE SEXIEST IN IRELAND’ – OFFICIAL! THE DONEGAL accent has been voted the sexiest in Ireland.
Around 42% of women and 39% of men say the accent in this county turns them on!
Match-making service Parship.ie released details of their poll today and also found that one-in-five women think accents are important when […]
- IT ALL ADDS UP! DONEGAL TEENS TO BE MATHS OLYMPIANS! MEET the brainy Donegal students who show that lots of (X) maths study all (+) adds up and you can't take that away (-) from them - for they're set to become (=) Maths Olympians!
The two students at the Abbey Vocational School in Donegal Town have been selected to train for the Irish […]
- DONEGAL SNAPPER, JUST 23, NAMED IRISH WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR! A CO DONEGAL photographer is celebrating being named Irish Wedding Photographer of the Year.
Paul Doherty, 23, said he was still 'on cloud nine' after picking up the prestigious award.
And from some of his pictures here, you can see why!
"We were delighted to have been nominated […]
- TD DOHERTY IN TV DEBATE CLASH WITH GOVERNMENT MINISTER DONEGAL TD Pearse Doherty has clashed with a Fine Gael Minister over property tax.
Brian Hayes and the Sinn Fein TD spoke over each other repeatedly on RTE1's The Frontline programme as they debated the cuts and taxes in this week's Budget.
At one stage Deputy Hayes - Minister of […]
- REVEALED: HOW SKY TV RIPS OFF ITS DONEGAL CUSTOMERS INVESTIGATION: SKY TV are on a sales drive in Co Donegal this week - and no wonder....they're making a small fortune!
That's because customers here are paying through the nose for a service which costs much less just across the Border in Co Derry.
For example a Donegal customer […]
- BREAKING NEWS: CRAZED BURGLAR BEHIND GLENTIES RAIDS ON THE RUN
BREAKING NEWS: A burglary suspect who was part of a gang which raided Glenties homes and business premises has now escaped, and is on the run.
The 40-year-old was one of three arrested in Derry in connection with a series burglaries in Donegal.
Dungloe was also targeted on […]
- ORANGE WEATHER ALERT FOR DONEGAL AS COUNTY POUNDED BY THUNDER STORMS PARTS of Donegal will get pounded with up to 40mm of rain this afternoon and into the evening as Met Eireann issued an Orange Weather Alert for the county.
Power cuts and satellite TV outages are accompanying the heavy downpours which come after an earlier warning about slippery […]
- COUNCIL CONSIDERS SPENDING €250,000 ON ‘SHED’ FOR TOURIST PROJECT Letterkenny Town Council is looking to buy a vacant building to develop as a tourist project - but may have to splash out €250,000 for the privilege.
The Old Forge at Lower Main Street, which comes complete with tin roof and no windows, has been boarded up for more than 30 […]
- FORMER GARDA SERGEANT GRIPPED STEERING WHEEL AFTER SUSPECTED DRUNK-DRIVING INCIDENT A former Garda Sergeant gripped his steering wheel and refused to get out of his car when stopped for suspected drunk-driving.
A special sitting of Letterkenny District Court yesterday heard how it took three Gardai to get Jack Conaty out of his car.
The court heard how Conaty, a […]