DONEGAL TV sleuth Ciara Doherty might have caused some offence to our northern neighbours (and to quite a few on this side of the Border) in a TV3 show last night.
The 29-year-old from Letterkenny took part in an investigation into cross-Border shopping for groceries.
And while the investigation found that a 300 quid shop in the North saved just four euro – good news for business and jobs here in Donegal – it was some of her descriptions which might not go down too well.
Referring to her shop at Sainsburys in Newry as part of the TV3 Midweek show report, Ciara revealed: “I didn’t hear as many Irish accents as you would have done a few years ago.”
One donegaldaily.com reader in Derry (originally from Buncrana) asked: “Does that mean locals north of the Border have British accents?”
He added: “The whole Midweek programme portrayed the north as if it was Germany or Outer Mongolia. It really was a Dublin view and we expect more from Ciara. Last time I checked Letterkenny was still 20 minutes from Derry. And yes – 80% of people in Derry and Newry for that matter are IRISH…and guess what…they have IRISH accents too!”
And another reader emailed to say: “Good news that it’s just as cheap to shop for groceries south of the Border these days. But ‘Irish accent’s…really Ciara??? You should know better.”
© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved
The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.
Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily
Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily
Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com
More from Donegal Daily
- ELECTION EXCLUSIVE: SHOCK AS DARA BLANEY RUNS FOR DONEGAL NORTH EAST EXCLUSIVE: Dara Blaney, the youngest son of the late Neil T Blaney has told donegaldaily.com today why he is to contest the General Election in Donegal North East.
He is a member of the New Vision alliance, as is his brother Eamon Blaney who is contesting the election in Dublin.
- RANDOX DUNGLOE IN €25 BOWEL CANCER TEST BREAKTHROUGH SCIENTISTS at Randox in Dungloe have developed a €25 bowel cancer test kit, the company has announced.
The new blood test will spot bowel cancer at earliest stage and the simple check will ID cancer missed by existing screening.
The kit also removed the need for ‘unpleasant’ faecal […]
- CHARITY BOSS CLAIMS THEY COULD CLOSE DOORS AFTER PIANO COURT CASE HITS SOUR NOTE The director of a Donegal charity shop claims it could be forced to close if it is forced to give a woman a refund on a piano she purchased.
Denise O’Boyle is looking for her money back after she paid €400 for a second-hand piano which was rusty inside and not working properly when it […]
- VICTORY! DONEGAL BEAT KERRY AS DANIEL WINS BIG ON TV GAME SHOW! A CO Donegal man tonight won a €83,500 on RTE's Big Money Game - seeing off a competitor from Co Kerry!
Newtowncunningham man Daniel Rodgers travelled to Dublin with 21 family and friends and found the golden keys to play for big money.
His family were dressed in Donegal GAA tops - […]
- DONEGAL MISSES OUT AGAIN AS TV’S JAMES NESBITT SNUBS THE COUNTY HE could see the hills of Donegal from the home where he grew up, but TV actor James Nesbitt has cut the county out of a massive tourism boost.
The Co Derry man pulled an incredible 4.6 million viewers for the first episode of his eight-part series 'James Nesbitt's Ireland' which is […]
- REVEALED: JOE BROLLY IN ANOTHER ATTACK ON DONEGAL FORMER Derry GAA player and TV pundit Joe Brolly has launched another scathing attack on the Donegal GAA team and manager Jim McGuinness.
The Dungiven man claimed Donegal's tactics were ruining the game.
Said Brolly: "The point that has been missed in all the furore caused since […]
- COUNCIL CONSIDERS SPENDING €250,000 ON ‘SHED’ FOR TOURIST PROJECT Letterkenny Town Council is looking to buy a vacant building to develop as a tourist project - but may have to splash out €250,000 for the privilege.
The Old Forge at Lower Main Street, which comes complete with tin roof and no windows, has been boarded up for more than 30 […]
- DAD OF MISSING LIFFORD MAN DENIES HIS SON IS IN HIDING The heartbroken father of a missing man has denied malicious rumours that his son is in hiding.
Tragic David Colhoun has been missing for almost six weeks after last being seen trying to cross a river to his home in Co Donegal.
The 22 year old had been arrested by police in Co […]
- MAN WHO STABBED PAL AFTER ‘GOING BANANAS’ WAS VICTIM OF TORTURE BY HIS MOTHER
A CO Donegal man whose brother died in horrific circumstances in Germany last year was the victim of torture by his mother, a court has heard.
Daniel 'Skippy' McLaughlin, from Glentogher, Carndonagh, was before Letterkenny Circuit Court charged with assault causing harm.
- LEADING BUSINESSMAN IS HOPEFUL OF VAT PASS-ON IN DONEGAL A leading Donegal businessman has encouraged all business owners to pass on the new lower rate of VAT to their customers.
Letterkenny coffee shop owner and estate agent Brendan McGlynn was one of the first businesses to make customers aware of the drop in VAT from 13.5% to […]
- MY DONEGAL WITH SONIA NIC GIOLLA EASBUIG Sonia Nic Giolla Easbuig is an award winning TV Producer/Director from Bunbeg, Gaoth Dobhair. Sonia runs LIGID Productions ltd and has offices in Donegal and County Down. LIGID is a TV production company specialising in Factual Documentaries and Short form Drama.
Sonia has been […]
- DONEGAL MAN SCOOPS OLYMPIC TRIP AND €10,000 ON LATE LATE SHOW ONE of Donegal's best-known craftsmen scooped a superb prize on the Late Late Show tonight - €10,000 and a trip to the Olympics.
Delighted Eddie Doherty, who runs his own hand-weaving business in Ardara, won the prize.
And he told show host Ryan Tubridy he would be "over the moon" […]
- GARDA KILLER McDERMOTT MOVES TO DUBLIN AFTER RELEASE FROM JAIL Notorious garda killer Martin McDermott has re-located to Dublin from his native Donegal.
Th 29 year old recently moved into a house in Finglas with his girlfriend and his movements will be closely monitored by gardai.
McDermott, from Raphoe, was controversially released from […]
- GOVERNMENT’S PLANS FOR JOB CREATION IN DONEGAL IS AN EPIC FAILURE – MACLOCHLAINN Donegal North East TD, Sinn Féin’s Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has challenged the government on increased unemployment and emigration since they came to power.
Deputy Mac Lochlainn said that Donegal had been worse hit than any other county with over one in four workers unemployed.
- KENNY URGED TO KEEP HIS SIDE OF A5 MOTORWAY DEAL AS WORK BEGINS IN SEPTEMBER Work on the new A5 motorway from Derry to Dublin which will dramatically improve journey times for Donegal people traveling to the capital is to start in September.
The project is expected to cost in the region of €450 million in a scheme being jointly funded by the North and South […]
- RIVERDANCE FOUNDER MOYA DOHERTY NAMED DONEGAL PERSON OF THE YEAR Riverdance founder Moya Doherty has tonight been named the Donegal Person of the Year.
Ms Doherty, who is from Pettigo, received the award from the Donegal Association in Dublin tonight.
Ms Doherty, who was recently appointed the chair of the RTE board, was a very popular […]
- DONEGAL YOUNG FINE GAEL IN ‘PROVINCE’ BOOB YOUNG FINE GAEL in the county has made a major boob - by describing the North as 'the Province'.
The term, used by direct rule British ministers and staunch unionists for 70 years to describe the North, was posted on Facebook early this morning by Young Fine Gael Donegal.
They were […]
- LATE LATE SHOW APPEARANCE FOR DONEGAL ANTI-AUSTERITY CAMPAIGNERS THE anti-austerity walkers from Co Donegal have completed their journey to Dublin today - in time for an appearance tonight on the Late Late Show.
Spokesman Joe Murphy, who organised the 280 mile walk said tonight's appearance had "given all of us a massive boost."
Hundreds of […]
- MASSIVE TOURISM AND BUSINESS BOOST AS STERLING CLIMBS TO €1.32
A CRISIS in the EuroZone could see another massive boost for Donegal tourism from the North and Britain - and boost our exports there.
Economists say the £1 could be worth €1.40 within months.
Early this morning on overnight foreign exchange markets to the £1 was worth more […]
- HEARTBROKEN FATHER: I WILL NOT ALLOW MY DEAD SON TO BE CREMATED The father of a Co Donegal man who was mowed down and killed after reportedly going on a stabbing spree says he will not allow his son to be cremated.
Enda McLaughlin, was killed by a car in Germany as he fled across a road on Monday after stabbing three people.
The 27 year old […]