LATEST UPDATE FROM GLASGOW: The partner of a Donegal man who was murdered outside his Glasgow home has told police she saw the attack from a window but did not realise it was him.
Malin Head man William McKeeney was attacked by two men in the city early on Sunday morning as walked home after a night out.
Police said his 48-year-old partner Annemarie had heard a disturbance and saw the attack from their ground floor flat.
Officers said that she had been left “completely traumatised” by the 57-year-old’s death.
Police said Mr McKeeney was subjected to a “sustained and violent” assault on his way home from a night out and left unconscious on the pavement.
Police said Annemarie had not realised that it was him being attacked until she went outside and found him.
Ch Insp Stephen McAllister, of Strathclyde Police, said she was “completely traumatised”, adding: “The fact she found him makes it even more horrendous.”
The officer leading the police inquiry has cautioned against speculating about the motive for the attack.
Det Ch Insp David Gailey said: “Mr McKeeney suffered massive injuries to his head and body in what can only be described as a brutal and sustained attack.
“To speculate on a motive at this time is completely unhelpful, and indeed may hinder our investigation, however, we are keeping an open mind as to why it happened.
“I am convinced that someone in the community knows who did this and I would appeal to them to contact police and help us take this investigation forward.
“Mr McKeeney and his partner were well known in the area. William, who worked locally as a labourer, was a popular man who was ready to help anyone he could.”
The local police commander has said the murder does not indicate that violence is a regular feature of the area.
Ch Insp Stephen McAllister said: “Pollokshields is a good area with a low crime rate – especially in regard to violent crime.
“This unusual but horrific crime has the community shocked.
“As well as our community officers, who have a good relationship with local people, there will be additional officers in the area and I would encourage people to approach them with any information or concerns they may have.”
Previous story here:
More from Donegal Daily
- MURDER TRIAL: ‘MY COUSIN TOLD ME HE KILLED DONEGAL MAN’ A COUSIN of a man accused of murdering a Co Donegal labourer has told a court that he admitted he'd carried out the killing.
Adel Ishaq and Asif Rehman deny killing Malin Head man William McKeeney, who died after the being attacked in a street in Glasgow's Pollokshields area in […]
- TRIAL TO HEAR HOW TRAGIC DONEGAL MAN WAS KICKED AND PUNCHED TO DEATH YARDS FROM HOUSE A trial into the death of a Donegal man is to hear how he was repeatedly kicked, punched and stamped upon just yards from the safety of his home.
William McKeeney, 57, who was originally from Malin Head, was set upon on the street in Glasgow as he was walking home.
Two young men […]
- TWO MEN APPEAR IN COURT CHARGED WITH BEATING INISHOWEN MAN TO DEATH IN RACIST ATTACK Two men have appeared in court in Scotland accused of the racially aggravated murder of a 57-year-old Donegal man.
Asif Rehman, 20, and Adel Ishaq, 19, are alleged to have attacked William McKeeney near his home in Melville Street, Pollokshields, in Glasgow on 15 January.
- DONEGAL MAN STABBED TO DEATH IN VICIOUS ATTACK IN GLASGOW
POLICE in Glasgow are hunting two thugs after a Co Donegal man was murdered in the street as he walked home from a chip shop.
The victim was white and the attackers of Asian appearance – and the scene of the attack on Glasgow’s South Side is close to where white teenager […]
- MEN FOUND GUILTY OF MURDER OF DONEGAL MAN IN GLASGOW BREAKING NEWS: Two men have been convicted of murdering a 57-year-old Donegal man outside his home in Glasgow.
Asif Rehman, 20, and Adel Ishaq, 19, attacked William McKeeney in Melville Street, Pollokshields, on 15 January.
Mr McKeeney, who was originally from Malin Head, later […]
- DDTV STAR WARS SPECIAL: THE FORCE IS ALMOST IN MALIN HEAD!
Donegal woman Caroline Glackin has a real exclusive on her hands.
Not only did she manage to capture the arrival of some of the Star Wars crew into Malin Head but she even managed to record the new soundtrack from the blockbuster!
But in case Star Wars fans get overly excited, […]
- MAN UNITED STARS SET FOR DONEGAL CHARITY CYCLE A host of former Reds, including Clayton Blackmore and Denis Irwin (pictured), will be in Co Donegal in June - to raise money for charity.
Blackmore, Irwin, David May and ex-Celt Brian McClair will all jump in the saddle at various points over the eight-day challenge to ride the 592 […]
- GLASGOW MURDER: SUSPECTS HAD THREATENED WOMAN BEFORE BRUTAL KILLING TWO men suspected of murdering Donegal man William McKeeney in Glasgow had threatened a woman and her partner just minutes before, it emerged today.
Lisa Pascoe, 28, an administration worker from London had been staying in a flat near where the killing took place with her partner at […]
- TWO MEN CHARGED WITH MURDERING DONEGAL MAN IN GLASGOW Two men have appeared in court charged with murdering Malin Head man William McKeeney.
The well-known truck-driver was killed just yards from his home in Glasgow n Sunday morning last.
Asif Rehman, 20 and Adil Ishaq, 19, who are both from Glasgow, were remanded in custody at […]
- RESCUE UNDERWAY AFTER FISHING BOAT STRANDED ON ROCKS UPDATED: Two men have been rescued after a small fishing boat hit rocks off Inishowen.
The 22ft boat began to take on water and the men sent out a mayday call.
Malin Head Coast Guard Station is currently co-ordinating a rescue operation South of Malin Head.
The coast guard […]
- CROWDS GATHER FOR NORTHERN LIGHTS – COUPLE DRIVE FROM CARLOW TO DONEGAL HUNDREDS of stargazers are out along the coasts of Co Donegal tonight in the hope of seeing the Northern Lights.
And they aren't just locals - one couple has travelled all the way from Co Carlow.
Claire McNeill and husband Michael are at Malin Head promising to stay "for the long […]
- DONEGAL GOES VIRAL AS LUKE SKYWALKER TWEETS PIC OF FILM SET!
Luke Skywalker has officially put Donegal on the world stage after changing his twitter profile picture!
Actor Mark Hamill arrived in Inishowen yesterday for today's filming segments for the fire Star Wars blockbuster.
And last night the Hollywood icon captured the imagination […]
- MURDERED DONEGAL MAN WAS KICKED SO HARD, FOOTPRINTS WERE LEFT ON HIS SKIN MORE DETAILS of the horrific death of Co Donegal man William McKeeney emerged in a Scottish court today where two men are charged with his racially-motivated murder.
Mr McKeeney, from Malin Head, was allegedly kicked to death by two men in an attack on Melville Street in the […]
- DONEGAL MAN’S GLASGOW MURDER: GANGS HAD ‘PICKED ON HIM’ LATEST: A DONEGAL man battered to death near his home in Glasgow at the weekend had been "picked on" by local gangs, neighbours said today.
There is shock in Malin Head today after the murder of Willie McKeeney, 57, as he walked home from a chippie in the Scottish city early on […]
- VICTORY FOR OUR READERS! ALL OF DONEGAL TO BE INCLUDED IN ATLANTIC TOURISM DRIVE IT started with a backlash from donegaldaily.com readers - and ended today with victory!
All of County Donegal will now be included in an Atlantic Drive tourism route initiative, Failte Ireland confirmed today.
When the route was originally announced, it was due to end at Sliabh […]
- TWO MEN BLAME EACHOTHER FOR DONEGAL MAN’S DEATH IN GLASGOW Two men accused of the murder of a Donegal man in Glasgow have blamed each other the beating.
William McKeeney, originally from Malin Head, died in the Victoria Hospital after being assaulted.
Asif Rehman and Adel Ishaq are on trial charged with murdering Mr McKeeney in a racially […]
- GLASGOW MURDER: COPS QUIZ TWO OVER ATTACK ON DONEGAL MAN Two men have been detained for questioning by murder squad detectives in connection with the death of a Donegal man outside his home in Glasgow.
William McKeeney, 57, was attacked in Melville Street in the Pollokshields area at about 00:40 on Sunday.
He died from his injuries after […]
- WILLIE MCKEENEY MURDER: TWO MEN CHARGED OVER KILLING
Two men are due to appear in a Glasgow court later today charged in connection with the death of Malin Head man Willie McKeeney.
The 57-year-old was viciously beaten in Melville Street in the Pollokshields area of the city at about 00:40 on Sunday as his partner Annmarie watched […]
- FOUR FISHERMEN RESCUED AFTER BOAT SINKS OFF COAST OF DONEGAL BREAKING NEWS: Four fishermen have been rescued off the coast of Donegal after their fishing boat sank.
The men were fishing off Malin Head when their boat capsized.
The men had a miraculous escape when another fishing boat in the area managed to pluck them from the […]
- BISHOP’S ANNOUNCEMENT: INISHOWEN PRIESTS ON THE MOVE
BISHOP of Derry Donal McKeown has announced clerical changes which will be effective from 21st August 2015.
A number of Inishowen-based priests are on the move.
The following is the full list of Diocesan changes:
Fr. Brian Brady, PP Errigal, to be PP Clonmany and […]