Photos from a Letterkenny housefire have been shared today to highlight essential safety precautions that can save lives.
A blaze broke out at a home in the Rosemount area of Letterkenny in the early hours of Monday morning. The couple inside managed to escape unharmed after their smoke alarm alerted them to the danger.
The man got out of the building first before Letterkenny fire crews helped rescue the woman from a window on the first floor. The fire had originated from the ground floor hot press, which caused the stairs to be blocked and left no means of escape.
The Donegal Fire Service said the smoke detector was a key factor in ensuring the fire brigade were called in good time for the fire to be brought under control. The alarm also served to give the occupants essential time.
“When a fire occurs, TIME is the most important factor. Time to effect escape or be rescued before the fire reaches fatal limits. Smoke alarms provide time, make sure you have them in your home and that they work,” the message said.
The fire service also highlighted the importance of a closed door upstairs that impeded the passage of smoke to the first floor bedroom. “Another reminder to close doors to rooms before going to bed.”
For more information on fire safety visit: http://firesafetyweek.ie/fire_safety_tips/enTags: