The Short Stay Ward at Letterkenny University Hospital is to open this week with a capacity of ten beds.
The long-awaiting opening of the ward will begin on Thursday 6th June, with a further 9 beds to be opened between October and December 2019, pending Saolta funding.
Any increase in capacity is a step in the right direction for Letterkenny University Hospital, says Charlie McConalogue TD.
The Fianna Fáil deputy obtained confirmation of the Short Stay Ward opening from the HSE through a Parliamentary Question.
Deputy McConalogue commented, “This is good news for a hospital that has been dogged by patients waiting on trolleys in the emergency department. Any increase in capacity is a step in the right direction for our local hospital.
“This has been a long time coming with LUH first requesting funding for the short stay ward almost two years ago. Despite rising trolley numbers and repeated commitments from Government, we are only now seeing the first 10 beds on the ward opening.”
McConalogue TD said questions must be raised as to why only 10 beds are opening this week.
He said: “Minister Joe McHugh stated prior to the budget that funding had been secured for the full commissioning of the 19 bed short stay ward but the latest reply from the HSE states that the opening of the further 9 beds is ‘pending Saolta funding’.
“This raises serious concerns about the commitments and assurances that have been given regarding the opening of this ward. It is clear from the figures that are waiting on trolleys on a daily basis at LUH that the short stay ward must be operating at full capacity in order to relieve some of the pressure on our local hospital.
“The opening of these beds is a welcome development however, we need to see the further 9 beds opened as soon as possible. I will continue my representations to the HSE & Minister for Health to ensure that this happens,” concluded Deputy McConalogue.Tags: