This is the first of four weekly advice posts, written by Donegal ETB’s experienced Adult Guidance and Information Service staff, for those members of our community who have either lost their jobs because of COVID-19 or are now at home because of containment measures and are looking for something useful to do. This one looks at online courses.
When normal life is interrupted and we are out of our normal routine, as we are now due to the COVID-19 containment measures, it can be important to feel like we are using our time well.
Education or learning is a great first step for something meaningful to do. Whether you want to try something new, develop existing knowledge or seek certification for skills to improve employment opportunities, then online learning may be the answer. There are limitless options; free, fee paying, accredited, unaccredited, hobby and employment focused. Some are short in duration and others require a longer-term commitment.
If you would like help to decide what would be a good fit then Donegal ETB’s Adult Guidance and Information Service is here to help you look or, if you prefer to take a more independent approach, then we’ve listed some great links below for you to explore – just remember that we’re always here to help you navigate through the options available.
If you do decide online learning is right for you, here are a few tips to ensure a successful outcome:
- Be disciplined: online learning is not easier, it’s different and it’s more convenient. However, you will still need to dedicate time and you need to work well with the technology required.
- You need reliable internet access: schedule your learning when there are fewer online users at home and use cloud storage as much as possible.
- Have a dedicated space to study: ask family and friends to respect your ‘study time’ and log off social media too.
- Ask for help: if you don’t ask for help, how will the instructor know there’s a problem?
- Revise regularly: it improves your memory and helps with understanding. Try and revise using a method that suits your learning style.
- Stay motivated: it’s as critical as discipline in determining your success. Don’t forget the reason you started this.
If you feel you need more information or would like to talk to one of Donegal ETB’s Adult Guidance and Information staff about your options, complete and submit this short online form and they’ll call you back: https://www.donegaletb.ie/further-education-training/adult-guidance/ or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Course Opportunities: