THE 2020 Joule Donegal International Rally has been postponed, the Donegal Motor Club has confirmed.
In a statement, the Motor Club says the decision, made with ‘great regret’, has been announced due to Public Health concerns associated with the current Coronavirus pandemic.
Only once since the event began in 1972 has the Donegal International Rally not taken place – in 2001 due to the outbreak of Foot-and-mouth disease.
Clerk of the Course, Eamon McGee said: “Foremost in our minds is the health and safety of the general public including residents along the routes, competitors, marshals and the hundreds of workers who help us stage the event every year.”
Last month, Motorsport Ireland suspended all of its events until June 1 and there had remained high hopes that the Donegal International Rally would be able to proceed. However, organisers have taken the difficult decision to announce the postponement.
Donegal Motor Club Chairman, Brian Brogan said: “Whilst the postponement is very disappointing given the time and effort already put into the event, we must also remember the huge effort and sacrifice that medical and front line emergency personnel in this country are putting in as they deal with this pandemic.
“Let us all support them by following all current and future government guidelines or restrictions for as long it takes to bring this outbreak under control.”Tags: