A warning has been issued over the stinging Lion’s Mane jellyfish as families flock to the beach this Bank Holiday weekend.
The lion’s mane jellyfish was spotted in Lough Swilly and several appeared in the water at Inver Bay in South Donegal last month.
Lough Swilly RNLI reports that one washed up on the front shore in Buncrana this week.
The dangerous jellyfish has a powerful sting in its tentacles which can cause severe pain and anaphylactic shock.
Dog owners in particular have been warned to keep their pets away.
The Lion’s Mane, which can grow up to 2 meters in diameter, has become more common in Irish waters in recent years.
The jellyfish can be identified by its colour, which varies from deep red to yellow individuals. They can reach a bell diameter of 2 meters, normally much smaller and can have up to 150 long tentacles each.
All jellyfish possess stinging cells, “stingers”, on their tentacles. However, the Lion’s Mane stinging cells are much sharper and can pierce skin easily resulting in a painful sting. A sting from a Lion’s Mane jellyfish can cause nausea, sweating, cramps, headaches and other symptoms.
If you have been stung, the HSE advice is to remove yourself from the water / vicinity of the jellyfish and seek help and advice from lifeguards if you are on a lifeguarded beach. More informaton is available at : https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/hl/water/bathing/jellyfish-in-irish-coastal-waters.html