A large number of Donegal takeaways and coffee carts tasted success this week at the Irish Takeaway Awards 2022.
The annual awards, which were held on Monday, celebrated the stars of the takeaway industry and, after a difficult two years, it was a chance to shine a light on their resilience and dedication.
Three local businesses were crowned overall winners in their categories:
- Chandpur in Donegal Town was named Indian Takeaway of the Year 2022.
- An Capall Mara, Killybegs took the overall title of Coffee Cart of the Year 2022, with Brew in Thru, Teelin winning a Highly Commended award in this category. An Capall Mara was also a runner-up in the Sweet Treat of the Year category.
- Burrito Loco, Letterkenny won the prize of Mexican Takeaway of the Year 2022.
Other businesses who were highly commended were:
- Johnny’s Ranch, Ramelton – Food Truck of the Year 2022
- Sinless Snacks, Buncrana – Healthy Takeaway of the Year 2022
- Burrito Loco, Letterkenny – The Sustainability Award 2022
- AJ’s Filling Station Restaurant & Takeaway in Ballyshannon Johnny’s Ranch, Ramelton both placed in the Takeaway Team of the Year category.
- Atlantic Catch, Ballyliffin – The Innovation Award 2022
YesChef Ireland programme director Nicci Smith said; “It’s hard to believe that we held our first Takeaway Awards in 2019 and little did we know what lay ahead for us all and the challenges that would face the industry.
“I’m proud to say that the people who joined us tonight helped to sustain Irish people through some of the toughest times they have faced. Food is not just a necessity it is a joy, a pleasure in life, a sensory experience, something that lifts us at the end of a tough week! And these guys lifted us through a tough two years!
“Owners and staff in takeaways across the country were on the frontline with a smile on their faces and a willingness to go the extra mile. Restaurants pivoted to deliver takeaway food and throughout it all quality improved and standards raised.
“And I don’t say that lightly, each and every business was independently assessed and the standards were superb. I need to point out also that researchers found the level of service to be superb, I read so many comments complimenting teams for their happy smiles, banter and going the extra mile.”