With lots of people around Donegal enjoying caravan and campervan staycations, Gardaí have warned them to be more security conscious this summer.
They have set out a list of precautions for those who own caravans or campervans to ensure you have a safe holiday this summer:
- Ensure a good quality hitch lock and wheel clamps are in place and that the caravan is locked to a secure point.
- Get an alarm fitted if one is not already in place.
- Keep valuables out of sight and remove when not in use.
- Ensure windows and doors are locked if leaving unattended overnight.
- Use a cover when not in use. This may deter thieves as pulling off a cover can be noisy and add to the time taken to steal the caravan.
- Keep record of all serial numbers, unique markings, image of the caravan/campervan etc. Keep documents secure.
- Consider voluntarily registering your caravan with the Central Registration and Identification Scheme.
For further crime prevention advice on this, and on other topics, please see: https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime-Prevention/