More than 400 fans turned up after golf sensation Rory McIlroy made a ‘secret’ visit to Co Donegal today.
The US Open winner was due to make a low-key appearance at Ballyliffin Golf Club to shoot part of an advertising campaign for clothing and sunglasses giant Oakley which is estimated to be worth $6million.
However huge crowds gathered on the Inishowen Peninsula after news was leaked of McIlroy’s visit just a few hours before he landed by helicopter.
Gardai and dozens of marshals from the club, at which the 22 year old is an honorary life member, ensured that fans did not get too close to the star at the Inishowen Peninsula course.
McIlroy and his entourage, which included make-up artists and wardrobe assistants, shuttled back and forth from the golf course for much of the day.
Dressed in a white golf shirt and loud blue trousers, the golfer was driven around in an open-back jeep while his assistants made their way around on golf buggies.
Trays of sandwiches and bottles of water were brought onto the course as the star was kept warm by another assistant who held his black padded jacket during photo-shoots.
The normally accommodating sporting celebrity didn’t even have time to sign autographs or chat to fans as he was rushed between shoots on the Nick Faldo-designed course.
The Ballyliffin course was chosen because of its light after photographers surveyed more than 18 courses for the shoot.
Photographers working for the American clothing giant have been walking the course for the past two weeks to get the best pictures.
There was no sign of McIlroy’s girlfriend Holly Sweeney who has been by his side since he won the US Open last week.
The arrival of golf’s hottest property was a huge boost for the Co Donegal club who have built up a special relationship with McIlroy for a number of years
He first came to Donegal as a teenager to compete in the club’s Junior Competition before winning the club’s prestigious Nick Faldo Trophy aged just 16.
He is also close friends with the club’s professional Gareth McCausland who was by his side at yesterday’s shoot.
Club captain Colm McCarroll said the arrival of McIlroy just days after the biggest win of his career so far was a real bonus for the club.
“Rory has been a member here for a number of years and he will always be welcome here.
“He is a superb sportsman and such a great ambassador for golf and for young people in general.
“We really appreciate that he has taken the time to come here and that he has brought the US Open Cup with him. It’s a great day in the club’s history,” he said.
Children and golf fans of all ages lined up to have their photo taken with the US Open Cup.
One fan, Susan Farren, revealed how she once played with Rory when he was an 17 year old.
“Even then you could tell he was going to be a huge star. I am so delighted for him.
“He’s such a decent and unassuming young man. I played well against him the day I played but I don’t think I’d stand much of a chance today,” she laughed.
The star is already enjoying the trappings of a his superstar status and recently paid more than €2.4 million for a house on the outskirts of Belfast with its own gym, swimming pool and golf course.
He also has expensive taste in cars and owns a €180,000 Bentley and an Audi R8.
The star was due to leave Donegal by helicopter to return to his home in Northern Ireland again last night.
More from Donegal Daily
- DDTV: GOLF STAR RORY IN DONEGAL VISIT
RORY McIlroy is in Ballyliffin today - just like donegaldaily revealed last night.
Earlier this week we revealed how a little known video of the Co Down man praising the top Donegal golf course could spark a wave of golf tourism for the county.
The video - above - was recorded […]
- MICHAEL MURPHY SPORTS AND LEISURE PUT THEIR GOLFING SHIRT ON RORY! Michael Murphy Sports & Leisure is running an incredible offer to coincide with the US Masters.
Golf lovers are onto a potential winner as the Letterkenny sports shop launches its US Masters’ Madness golf offer.
Any golf purchase made in store from now until Wednesday, 8th […]
- DONEGAL PAYS TRIBUTE TO GOLF SENSATION RORY One of Donegal’s best-known golfing ambassadors has paid tribute to the Rory McIlroy – the man just named the world’s leading golfer.
Director of Golf at the Rosapenna Hotel and Golf Resort, Frank Casey Jnr, said everyone at the club are delighted for the 22 year old star.
- BALLYLIFFIN GOLF CLUB HOPING TO HOST IRISH OPEN IN 2019 Speculation is mounting that Ballyliffin Golf Club are set to make an approach to the European Tour regarding the possibility of them hosting the prestigious Irish Open event in 2019.
Ballyliffin Golf Club has already staged top quality events in the form of the Challenge Tour and […]
- PADDY WALSH ON WEDNESDAY: CLONES, THE MILE CHALLENGE AND A REF WHO NEEDS TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL
BY PADDY WALSH: DONEGAL AND MONAGHAN TO GIVE US A FINAL WORTH REMEMBERING
When the pundits predict that Sunday’s Ulster Final is going to be “very tight” as many have done, you can almost hear the groans from the neutrals. Is this another way of telling us it’s going to be a bit […]
- BRILLIANT DONEGAL TEEN CROWNED IRISH GOLF CHAMP AND URGES SCHOOL PALS TO CROKE PARK GLORY
BRILLIANT Donegal golfer Kyle McCarron has followed in the footsteps of Rory McIlroy and been crowned Irish Amateur Golf Champion.
Now Kyle is hoping Donegal's Seniors and Minors make it a super Donegal TREBLE for the county at Croke Park this weekend.
TWO school pals and […]
- INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR JOHN CAMPBELL CHOSEN AS NEW MAYOR OF COUNTY COUNCIL BREAKING NEWS: Independent councillor John Campbell is to be elected the new chairman of Donegal County Council.
An all-party inclusive agreement will see the Mountcharles man elected to the position.
It had been reported that Sinn Fein’s Jack Murray was to be the new chairman but […]
- DONEGAL GOLF CLUB’S AMBITIOUS BID TO LAND IRISH OPEN
GOLF stars could replace Star Wars as the main attraction in Inishowen - if one prestigious local club gets its way.
Ballyliffin Golf Club has asked the European Tour to add it the rota of Irish Open courses - and wants to host the Irish Open in 2019.
Officials from the club […]
- IRELAND’S NEW GOLF SENSATION HAS A DONEGAL CADDY!
GOLF: Ireland's newest golf sensation Paul Dunne has already made an impact on the European tour since turning pro - and he is being guided by a Donegal man!
Dunne hit the headline again last week, when he led the Alfred Dunhill Links after two rounds which also seen him hit a […]
- WANT TO PLAY A ROUND OF GOLF ‘FORE’ FREE? It's not very often you can play a round for free!
Well now you can after Letterkenny Golf Club agreed to give free golf to EVERYONE in aid of Relay For Life.
The fairways of the famous club promises to be humming with the sound of 'fore' as the clubs hosts a Ladies and Gents Open […]
- GARDAI HUNT MAD AXE MEN GARDAI in Milford are hunting axe-wielding thugs who threatened a woman at her home in Ballyheerin at the weekend.
The incident is said to have happened late on Saturday night.
The incident happened at a house at Ballyheerin in Kilmacrennan, 8km north of Letterkenny, at about 11.45 […]
- GOLF: LETTERKENNY GOLF CLUB NEWS AND RESULTS Letterkenny Golf Club
While the likes of Rory McIlroy were fending off the possible effects of sunstroke in far sunnier climes the weather conditions locally were doing their best to ensure that at least for this week end Turkeys and other Christmas fare […]
- GOLF NEWS: MICHAEL GALLAGHER WINS THE PRESIDENTS PRIZE AT MURVAGH Donegal Golf Club (Murvagh)
Sunday 10th August - Presidents Prize (Mr Michael Neary).
While Rory McIlroy was moving to 4 Major victories Michael “D” Gallagher stayed on his heels when picking up his 3rd Presidents Prize on Sunday.
Having endured a shoulder […]
- GAA NOTES: NAOMH BRID The club held a very successful fashion show on Saturday night in. the Central Hotel with over 40 models strutting their stuff with clothes from Donegal Towns finest retail outlets.
Over 140 people came to witness a great night of entertainment and made the show special. Star of the […]
- PEOPLE WALK OUT OF MASS OVER PRIEST’S ‘GAY’ COMMENTS ABOUT DONEGAL GAA STAR
A NUMBER of people walked out of a Mass in protest at comments made by a priest during a sermon on gay marriage.
Father John Britto spoke out against gay marriage during a sermon in Annagry on Saturday night.
And he told the congregation that Gaoth Dobhair footballer Eamon […]
- MAN CHARGED WITH CAUSING DEATH BY DANGEROUS DRIVING OF DONEGAL TEENAGER SHANE
A MAN has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving of a Co Donegal teenager.
Shane Patton, who was 18, lost his fight for life following a two car collision outside the N13 Service Station in Drumkeen on Wednesday, July 12, 2012.
The incident occurred at around […]
- DONEGAL MAN GOES ON TRIAL FOR SEX ASSAULTS A 55 year old Donegal man has gone on trial charged with indecently assaulting a young boy.
Hugh ‘Jock’ McDaniel pleaded not guilty to all five charges which are alleged to have happened at different locations in Inishowen in 1979.
McDaniel, of 40 Abbotswood, Carndonagh denies all […]
- PROBE INTO FAN ATTACK ON GAA MATCH OFFICIAL GARDAÍ may be called in to investigate an attack on one on GAA officials at a top match.
The Donegal County Board says referee Jimmy White reported an unsavoury incident at the end of a clash between Aodh Ruadh Ballyshannon and Bundoran.
The incident happened after the final […]
- MOTORING: ON THE ROAD AGAIN WITH BRIAN McDAID This week the Donegal Daily motoring correspondent Brian McDaid test-drives the Fiat Diablo and gets stuck into those who illegally park in disabled bays. If you're an offender.....you may want to look away now.
I was all excited when I got the phone call from the office […]
- LOUIS HITS A HOLE-IN-ONE WITH HIS OWN ‘MASTERS’!
A golfing mad student has carried out his college dissertation on the Irish Open which kicks off in Royal Portrush tomorrow.
Well-known Carrigart estate agent Louis Boyce is so in love with golf that he completed his Masters in Business Development and Innovation dissertation on […]