DDTV: The great Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher passed away today aged 87.
The performer from Creeslough was an international star.
Here she is seen performing live just under two years ago.
More from Donegal Daily
- TV DOCUMENTARY TRIBUTE TO THE GREAT BRIDIE GALLAGHER UTV is set to film a documentary tribute to one of Donegal's most famous singers - the brilliant Bridie Gallagher. Bridie, known professionally as The Girl from Donegal shot to fame in 1956 with her recording of ‘A Mother’s Love’s a Blessing’. Picture This Productions are currently […]
- BRIDIE GALLAGHER MAKES A RETURN TO THE STAGE AS SINGER’S DRESSES GIVEN TO LYRIC THEATRE The spirit of the late Bridie Gallagher who was born in Creeslough, who died last year, will make a return to the stage this week. A collection of dresses worn by the Donegal-born singer, who died at 87, has been donated to the Lyric Theatre. Bridie Gallagher sang all over the […]
- SADNESS AS ‘THE GIRL FROM DONEGAL’ BRIDIE GALLAGHER DIES BREAKING NEWS: Legendary Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher has died. Ms Gallagher, who inspired many major acts including Daniel O’Donnell and Paul Brady, died at her home in Belfast aged 87. Ms Gallagher, who was born in Creeslough and known affectionately as The Girl from Donegal, […]
- LOVELY OBITUARY TO BRIDIE GALLAGHER – THE GIRL FROM DONEGAL IT was with great sadness that donegaldaily.com announced the death of singer Bridie Gallagher earlier this week. Tributes continue to pour in for the Girl from Donegal. There is a lovely obituary chronicling her life in today's Irish Times. You can read it by clicking […]
- DONEGAL DAD BUYS DAUGHTER A PUB FOR HER 21ST BIRTHDAY! A devoted Donegal dad has bought his lucky daughter the ultimate birthday present – a pub! Seamus Gallagher, 59, has lived in Carlisle in England for the past 24 years. He wanted to get daughter Bridie a job and a present rolled into one so he bought her a bar in his hometown of […]
- TOWN TURNS OUT TO SAY FOND FAREWELL TO ‘GIRL FROM DONEGAL’ Almost 500 mourners gathered on a hillside cemetery today to say a fond farewell to renowned singer Bridie Gallagher. Ms Gallagher, who was called ‘Ireland’s first international popstar’, was buried at Doe Cemetery outside her beloved birthplace of Creeslough in Co Donegal. A lone […]
- OUR BRIDIE TO BE LAID TO REST IN HER NATIVE DONEGAL BRIDIE Gallagher, who died yesterday, will be laid to rest in her native Creeslough, her family has said. The 87-year-old singer was an international star in the 1950s and 1960s and had a career spanning half a century. Tributes from the world of showbusiness have been pouring in […]
- MODEL ROISIN IN THE DRIVING SEAT – EVEN WITHOUT A FULL LICENSE! Creeslough woman Roisin McConway may be in the driving seat for next weekend’s Miss Ireland contest but she certainly hasn’t a license to win it! The 19 year old model has been picked by SEAT to represent the car giant in the finals at the D4 Hotel in Dublin. Part of her prize […]
- IT’S ALL VERY CHRIS-MASSEY AT ONE DONEGAL SCHOOL The children from Glasson were treated to a 'Massey' surprise when Santa arrived today on a tractor. "Due to the absence of snow I had to rely on another traditional method of transport," Santa explained. The children of SN Glasáin, Creeslough were delighted and would like to […]
- SADNESS AS POPULAR ELDERLY LADY DIES IN CREESLOUGH HOUSE FIRE UPDATE: THERE is sadness and disbelief in Creeslough today after the death in the early hours of this morning of a popular local woman in a house fire. Fire crews raced to the scene of the blaze before 2am this morning. The woman, who has been named locally as Josephine Higgs […]
- ST PATRICK’S DAY PICTURE SPECIAL THANKS to all our readers who have sent in pictures so far this lovely St Patrick's Day. The drizzle has lifted in most parts - and if you're sitting in the car with the engine running, you can pretend it's a summer's day as the sun beats in at […]
- IS THIS DONEGAL’S MOST DANGEROUS ROAD AFTER NINE ACCIDENTS IN ONE YEAR? PEOPLE living along a stretch of the N56 say it's Donegal's most dangerous road after a shocking NINE accidents there in the past year. The stretch of road between the Log Cabin Bar and the Drumnaraw Crossroads near Creeslough on the N56 which has been seriously damaged by subsidence […]
- DONEGAL MAN ARRESTED FOR HYDE PARK BOMBING IS PEACE WORKER The Donegal man arrested in connection with the notorious Hyde Park bombings has been working on a project to bring Republicans and Loyalists together. John Downey, a married father from Ards, Creeslough is in police custody after being arrested at Gatwick Airport. But Donegal […]
- YOUNG ONE-HANDED DONEGAL GOLFER IS ASTOUNDING THE WORLD OF GOLF A young golfer from Co Donegal who was born with just one hand is astounding the world of golf. Creeslough lad Edward O'Reilly, 14, was born with a birth defect which left him with one hand. But that hasn't stopped him from taking up the game of golf and becoming one of the […]
- MAN SPEAKS OUT AFTER SURVIVING HORROR CRASH ON DONEGAL’S ‘MOST DANGEROUS ROAD’ A man who was involved in a horror smash on a stretch dubbed 'Donegal's most dangerous road' has revealed how lucky he was to survive the crash. Aiden Spence was involved in the horrific car crash this time last year on the stretch of the road outside Creeslough. Councillor […]
- OUTRAGE AS DEAD DOGS LEFT ROTTING IN RIVER A cyclist says he is disgusted that nothing has been done by Donegal County Council after he reported the discovery of two dead dogs in a river more than a week ago. The man was out walking close to Glenveagh National Park last week when he came across the brutal scene. Two […]
- SERIOUS ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT IN CREESLOUGH The emergency services are at the scene of a serious road accident on the outskirts of Creeslough. Details of the accident are still emerging which happened just after 3.30pm on the outskirts of the village. It is believed that there was a two car collision but it is not yet […]
- NO SERIOUS INJURIES IN CREESLOUGH CRASH There are no serious injuries following a two vehicle crash in Creeslough a short time ago. The accident happened on the Dunfanaghy side of Creeslough in the past couple of hours. It is understood a car and a small van were involved in the collision. Paramedics attended the […]
- BLOW AS CREDITORS REJECT BID TO SAVE CREESLOUGH BUSINESSES Two creditors meetings involving the Lafferty Enterprises in Creeslough have rejected plans by the Examiner to save the family business. The Tirconail Tribune reports this morning how the rejection has dealt a severe blow to businessman Danny Lafferty and his family. They will […]
- EERIE SILENCE SWEEPS CREESLOUGH – FALL-OUT FROM LAFFERTY’S CLOSURE SINKS IN There was an eerie silence in the small Donegal village of Creeslough yesterday afternoon. The few locals on the street were shaking their heads and whispering in hushed tones at the High Court’s ruling to close its supermarket and best-known bar. It was almost as if they were […]