DDTV: The great Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher passed away today aged 87.
The performer from Creeslough was an international star.
Here she is seen performing live just under two years ago.
More from Donegal Daily
- TV DOCUMENTARY TRIBUTE TO THE GREAT BRIDIE GALLAGHER UTV is set to film a documentary tribute to one of Donegal's most famous singers - the brilliant Bridie Gallagher. Bridie, known professionally as The Girl from Donegal shot to fame in 1956 with her recording of ‘A Mother’s Love’s a Blessing’. Picture This Productions are currently […]
- SADNESS AS ‘THE GIRL FROM DONEGAL’ BRIDIE GALLAGHER DIES BREAKING NEWS: Legendary Donegal singer Bridie Gallagher has died. Ms Gallagher, who inspired many major acts including Daniel O’Donnell and Paul Brady, died at her home in Belfast aged 87. Ms Gallagher, who was born in Creeslough and known affectionately as The Girl from Donegal, […]
- OUR BRIDIE TO BE LAID TO REST IN HER NATIVE DONEGAL BRIDIE Gallagher, who died yesterday, will be laid to rest in her native Creeslough, her family has said. The 87-year-old singer was an international star in the 1950s and 1960s and had a career spanning half a century. Tributes from the world of showbusiness have been pouring in […]
- IT’S ALL VERY CHRIS-MASSEY AT ONE DONEGAL SCHOOL The children from Glasson were treated to a 'Massey' surprise when Santa arrived today on a tractor. "Due to the absence of snow I had to rely on another traditional method of transport," Santa explained. The children of SN Glasáin, Creeslough were delighted and would like to […]
- SADNESS AS POPULAR ELDERLY LADY DIES IN CREESLOUGH HOUSE FIRE UPDATE: THERE is sadness and disbelief in Creeslough today after the death in the early hours of this morning of a popular local woman in a house fire. Fire crews raced to the scene of the blaze before 2am this morning. The woman, who has been named locally as Josephine Higgs […]
- IS THIS DONEGAL’S MOST DANGEROUS ROAD AFTER NINE ACCIDENTS IN ONE YEAR? PEOPLE living along a stretch of the N56 say it's Donegal's most dangerous road after a shocking NINE accidents there in the past year. The stretch of road between the Log Cabin Bar and the Drumnaraw Crossroads near Creeslough on the N56 which has been seriously damaged by subsidence […]
- YOUNG ONE-HANDED DONEGAL GOLFER IS ASTOUNDING THE WORLD OF GOLF A young golfer from Co Donegal who was born with just one hand is astounding the world of golf. Creeslough lad Edward O'Reilly, 14, was born with a birth defect which left him with one hand. But that hasn't stopped him from taking up the game of golf and becoming one of the […]
- MAN SPEAKS OUT AFTER SURVIVING HORROR CRASH ON DONEGAL’S ‘MOST DANGEROUS ROAD’ A man who was involved in a horror smash on a stretch dubbed 'Donegal's most dangerous road' has revealed how lucky he was to survive the crash. Aiden Spence was involved in the horrific car crash this time last year on the stretch of the road outside Creeslough. Councillor […]
- OUTRAGE AS DEAD DOGS LEFT ROTTING IN RIVER A cyclist says he is disgusted that nothing has been done by Donegal County Council after he reported the discovery of two dead dogs in a river more than a week ago. The man was out walking close to Glenveagh National Park last week when he came across the brutal scene. Two […]
- HEALTH: NEW VASCULAR SERVICE STARTS AT LETTERKENNY GENERAL HOSPITAL Letterkenny General Hospital has commenced a new vascular service which will treat patients with venous conditions on an out-patient and day case basis. From this month patients from the Donegal area have been attending varicose vein clinics in Letterkenny General Hospital. The new […]
- THE KIDS OF CREESLOUGH ARE CLEANING UP! When it comes to looking after their local environment, the kids of Creeslough are cleaning up! This week the children of SN Glasáin, Creeslough carried out a Day of Action against litter. This will go towards helping them achieve their first Green Flag for Litter and Waste […]
- GARDA STATION CLOSURE HIT LIST REVEALED THE Garda stations on the closure hit list in Donegal have been named. No decisions have been taken on any closures as yet but those being looked at include Glencolmcille where hero gardai and volunteers looking for missing tourist Kelly Jones were based. Others on the list are […]
- RED TAPE IS RUINING FARMERS’ LIVELIHOODS IN CREESLOUGH – CLAIM The National Parks and Wildlife Service in Donegal has been slammed amidst claims that they are ruining the livelihoods of farmers in Creeslough. It follows the destruction of an embankment which had protected the farms of farmers in the area last year. Donegal County Council had […]
- UN-BEE-LIEVABLE! SWARM SENDS SHOPPERS RUNNING FOR COVER Shoppers couldn’t BEE-lieve their eyes when a swarm of honey bees gathered outside a busy supermarket. An estimated 40,000 of the Black Irish honey bees decided to make their home outside Lafferty’s Supermarket in the village of Creeslough. The shop, which is normally buzzing, was […]
- DELIGHT AND RELIEF AS WORK STARTS ON CREESLOUGH SEA WALL Work has started to reinstate coastal defences in Creeslough following extensive consultation between both Donegal County Council and the National Parks and Wildlife Service to commence the project. Cllr Seamus Ó Fearraigh had called for the sea wall to be rebuilt after […]
- ARE YOU GOING DOWN TO THE WOODS TODAY IN CREESLOUGH? The Donegal Association of An Taisce welcomes everyone to a guided nature walk in Duntally Wood, Creeslough next Thursday (April 30th). The group will meet at the car park in Creeslough beside the bottle bank at 7p.m. There will be a free return bus from the Car Park to the start […]
- DONEGAL VILLAGE DEALT A HAMMER BLOW AS TWO BUSINESSES WOUND UP WITH THE LOSS OF 29 JOBS Breaking News: Danny Lafferty's battle to save his pub and supermarket business has ended in bitter defeat following today's decision in the high court. The news comes as an absolute hammer blow to the rural village of Creeslough which will now result in 29 people losing their […]
- FUNERAL OF PENSIONER WHO DIED IN FIRE TAKES PLACE FRIDAY The funeral of a Donegal pensioner who died in a housefire is to take place on Friday. Josephine Higgs, 76, died, when fire swept through her home in Creeslough in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Neighbours managed to pull the well-known widow form her home but she died at the […]
- COMMUNITY SAYS A HUGE THANK-YOU TO CHIEF ‘MUMMER’ DESMOND! The Sheephaven Mummers held their "annual mummers dance presentation" in McNulty's Bar, Creeslough, with proceeds going towards the Donegal Hospice and the Oncology ward. The community had a special appreciation award for King Mummer Desmond Stewart (Woodhill, Dunfanaghy), who, […]
- BREAKING NEWS: CREWS AT SCENE OF CREESLOUGH HOUSE FIRE 2AM BREAKING NEWS: FIRE crews are at the scene of a major house fire near Creeslough. Flames have been bouncing high into the air from the blaze in the last few minutes at Ballyboes Road, two miles north-east of the village. Gardaí are assisting fire officers at the scene. "It […]