Donegaldaily.com has learned that Z Candy management say their position remains the same – that they are negotiating on the lease of the Letterkenny site.
However there are still genuine fears that the remaining jobs at the plant could go.
It is understood that the owners of the site, Donegal Creameries, are in negotiation with supermarket giant LIDL about possibly buying the site.
However there are also fears about redundancy payments to the workers if the company goes into liquidation.
Until recently the Government was paying 60% of redundancy payments but this has now ben reduced to just 15% with the company making up the remaining 85%.
Z Candy are also believed to have given union representatives guarantees that they will speak to workers first about their plans.
A source revealed “We are no further forward. Z Candy say there is no change in their position and they are still negotiating with Donegal Creameries over the lease.
“They have to be taken at their word but there are concerns that there is something else happening in the background.”