DONEGAL TD Padraig Mac Lochlainn today challenged Taoiseach Enda Kenny over a case here where a burglary victim had to give a Garda a lift to the crime scene.
Deputy Mac Lochlainn used leaders questions in the Dail today to raise the issue.
Taoiseach Mr Kenny claimed new rosters had increased contact between Gardai and rural communities.
But Deputy Mac Lochlainn also raised the issue of crime scenes not being visited by investigating Gardai due to lack of personnel.
On the Newtowncunningham incident – where the woman gave a Garda a lift – the Sinn Fein TD told Mr Kenny: “We now have a situation where all warnings from the Garda Representatives Association are coming through on the ground.
“There isn’t enough personnel and there aren’t enough vehicles to provide back- up to our communities.”
He asked the Taoiseach to urgently review the impact of the cuts with Justice Minister Alan Shatter and for him to meet the Garda commissioner and put in place a plan which will reassure communities in Border areas.
Mr Kenny could be seen smirking as he got to his feet to respond and used the opportunity to have a go at Sinn Fein.
“I am taken by your new found concern for the Gardai and law and order and for the welfare of our citizens. I commend you for your comments,” said the Taoiseach.
He said the new rosters were working well and it is being monitored.
Mr Kenny then said he recalled an incident many years ago where a Garda commandeered a vehicle to go on a poitin raid in north Donegal. He said those days were now gone.
He said he was aware that many Garda cars were reaching the end of their lives but he promised to raise the Co Donegal incident with Mr Shatter and Gardai.
Deputy Mac Lochlainn said he would pass the details to Mr Kenny but the Donegal TD referred to comments from the GRA who claim the new rosters would increase crime.
“The guards on the ground – no-one blames them – but there is a problem here,” he said.
He claimed one in five Garda vehicles have been withdrawn and not replaced and accused Minister Shatter of “passing the buck” over the issue.
Mr Kenny referred to Sinn Fein’s support for the closure of 36 PSNI stations in the North and defended Minister Shatter.
“I am not glossing over anything here,” insisted the Taoiseach, who went on to praise the work of Gardai.
He said the GRA were “never quiet” and what they had to say was always considered by the Minister.
More from Donegal Daily
- DONEGAL CRIME SPREE TO BE RAISED IN THE DAIL Donegal Sinn Féin TD, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn will raise the growing concerns of communities across Donegal about crime with the Minister for Justice, Alan Shatter.
Deputy Mac Lochlainn will establish if the Minister is aware of the recent public meeting in Manorcunningham attended […]
- SURGE IN DONEGAL BURGLARIES PROVES NEED FOR MORE GARDAI – MCCONALOGUE The surge in burglaries in the Northern Garda Region this year emphasises the need to protect community garda resources, according to Fianna Fáil TD Charlie McConalogue.
According to the latest CSO crime statistics, there was an 18.3% increase in burglaries in the Northern Region in […]
- INDEPENDENT COUNCILLOR JOHN CAMPBELL CHOSEN AS NEW MAYOR OF COUNTY COUNCIL BREAKING NEWS: Independent councillor John Campbell is to be elected the new chairman of Donegal County Council.
An all-party inclusive agreement will see the Mountcharles man elected to the position.
It had been reported that Sinn Fein’s Jack Murray was to be the new chairman but […]
- GARDA COMMISSIONER RESIGNS – DONEGAL TD WELCOMES MOVE BREAKING NATIONAL NEWS: Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan has resigned.
It follows his use of the word 'disgusting' to describe the actions of two Garda whistleblowers.
The move is expected to put more pressure on Justice Minister Alan Shatter.
Sinn Féin Justice Spokesperson […]
- FIANNA FAIL ‘SHADOW BOXING’ OVER FIGHT ON CRIME, SAYS MAC LOCHLAINN
DONEGAL TD Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has accused Fianna Fáil of hypocrisy with their latest proposals to strengthen garda forces.
He said the proposals were galling, given that Fianna Fail engineered cuts to garda numbers in the 2010 ‘National Recovery Plan.’
The Sinn Fein justice […]
- ‘MILITANT’ PROTESTERS ARE A DISGRACE TO DONEGAL – MAYOR
The Mayor of Donegal has slammed the “militant protests” undertaken by campaigners which he said was bringing shame and negative publicity to the county.
Cllr Frank McBrearty was speaking after protesters broke through Garda barriers and banged on Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s car during […]
- MAC LOCHLAINN SICKENED BY JOURNAL.IE READERS WHO WELCOMED DEATHS OF TRAVELLERS
DONEGAL TD Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has called upon the government to recognise Traveller ethnicity in order to kick start ‘a positive realignment of the relationship between the settled community and the Traveller community in Ireland’ - and slammed people who welcomed the deaths of 10 […]
- THREE CRIMES BY JUVENILES EVERY DAY IN DONEGAL THREE juvenile crimes are detected every day in Co Donegal, a shock report out today says.
And the number of young offenders who are girls has increased by an astonishing 20%, says the Garda Diversion Programme annual report.
The total number of of children put on the scheme did […]
- DOHERTY TO RAISE ISSUE OF DONEGAL GARDA RESOURCES IN DAIL TODAY Donegal South West TD, Pearse Doherty will debate the issue of Garda resources in rural Donegal with Minister for Justice Alan Shatter in a Topical Issue Debate in the Dáil today at 2.30pm.
Speaking in advance of the debate Deputy Pearse Doherty said it is becoming increasingly clear […]
- INISHOWEN TDs AT WAR! MacLOCHLAINN SAYS McCONALOGUE HAS ‘BRASS NECK’ OVER DISABILITY FUNDING
THEY'RE from the same peninsula in Co Donegal but there was no love lost today as Sinn Fein TD Padraig MacLochlainn and Fianna Fail Deputy Charlie McConalogue clashed over disabled people's rights.
Speaking during a Fianna Fáil motion on disability funding and services, Sinn Féin […]
- JOBS PLAN: TD DOHERTY ACCUSES GOVERNMENT OF ‘PLUCKING FIGURES FROM SKY’ DONEGAL South West TD Pearse Doherty has heavily criticised the Government's Jobs Plan, telling RTE's 'Prime Time' programme that the figures didn't add up.
Deputy Doherty said he agreed with some of the plans put forward by the Government but said targets for 100,000 new jobs had […]
- ASTONISHING: MINISTER ALAN SHATTER TELLS DONEGAL WALKERS: ‘GET A LIFE’ JUSTICE Minister Alan Shatter is the latest Government minister to put his foot in it, after telling anti-austerity campaigners from Co Donegal to 'Get a life.'
Mr Shatter, whose department was in trouble earlier this month for sending Raphoe Garda killer Martin McDermott to an open […]
- DONEGAL GARDA STATION CLOSURES ‘INEVITABLE’ SAYS TD COMMUNITIES across Donegal will lose their local Garda stations as the Government forces senior officers to make cuts, Sinn Fein said tonight.
Deputy Padraig MacLochlainn was speaking after a meeting with senior officers in the county today. Among them was Chief Superintendent Terry […]
- DOHERTY EXPOSES ‘GREED’ OF NEXT-DOOR NEIGHBOUR MCGINLEY’S TRAVEL EXPENSES Pearse Doherty has launched a vicious attack on fellow Donegal TD Dinny McGinley revealing the Fine Gael politician claims thousands of euro more in travel expenses to the Dail – despite living almost next door to the Sinn Fein man.
McGinley, from Bunbeg, claims €95 per round trip […]
- MacLOCHLAINN CALLS FOR URGENT REVIEW OF CUTS TO DONEGAL LEADER FUNDING Pádraig Mac Lochlainn, TD has described the massive cuts to LEADER Programme funding in Donegal as disastrous for communities across the county.
He has called on the Minister for the Environment and Local Government, Alan Kelly to urgently review these massive cuts and to work […]
- BOOKIES BACK SINN FÉIN AND FIANNA FÁIL TO LAND TWO SEATS EACH – WITH McHUGH TOO!
BOOKMAKERS have issued odds today for the new five-seat Donegal constituency which gives Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail two seats each - with Joe McHugh set to retain his seat for Fine Gael.
If the odds are to be believed it would mean independent Thomas Pringle losing his seat - with […]
- UPROAR IN DÁIL AS TANAISTE CALLS DONEGAL TD A ‘BARROOM BRAWLER’
TÁNAISTE Joan Burton has insulted a Donegal TD during rowdy exchanges in the Dáil today.
There was repeated heckling during leaders’ questions as Sinn Féin TDs reacted to Ms Burton's rejection of a claim by Sinn Fein's Mary Lou McDonald that there was now a two-tier health […]
- MacLOCHLAINN HITS OUT AS 100,000 PROTEST AGAINST WATER CHARGES
DONEGAL TD Padraig Mac Lochlainn has hit out at people misrepresenting his party's position on water charges.
The Sinn Fein Deputy was speaking as an estimated 80,000 to 100,000 people brought Dublin to a standstill on Saturday in protest at the water tax.
While some platform […]
- GOVERNMENT INACTION HAS LED TO DELAY OF GAOTH DOBHAIR SEWERAGE SCHEME – DOHERTY Donegal Sinn Fein TD Pearse Doherty has blamed Government inaction for the delay in the Goath Dobhair Sewerage Scheme.
He was speaking today in relation to correspondence received by Irish Water stating the scheme will not commence under the current Capital Investment Programme […]
- ANGER AT SHOCKING 26-MONTH WAITING LISTS FOR DIABETES PATIENTS IN DONEGAL
Donegal Sinn Féin TD, Padraig Mac Lochlainn has called on the Minister for Health, Leo Varadkar and management at the Saolta Hospital Group that oversee Letterkenny General Hospital to ensure the appointment of a second permanent, full-time endocrinologist team to tackle the long […]