Hackers are targeting Donegal computer-users by freezing their screens and then demanding money to unlock them – as gaeilge!
A man in West Donegal tried to access his computer but found it was locked with an Irish language message.
The message demanded the man forward €100 via transfer computer to have the virus unlocked.
The virus warns that the person may have accessed pornography and that their device has been frozen by an Irish Government agency.
Computer technician Brian McGarvey of Techie2u Computers Repairs has been repairing computers for 12 years around West Donegal and across the county.
Mr McGarvey said this is the first time he has ever come across a virus written in the Irish language.
“It’s quite a sophisticated and convincing scam. To someone who didn’t have good Irish, it’s looks very legitimate.
“I suspect they have used some kind of translation transfer and only about 60% of the virus makes sense in Irish.
“It has a logo which features an Irish flag and it looks quite official.
“However it looks good enough to scare people and some people might be inclined to hand over some money to have the computer unlocked,” he said.
Mr McGarvey says the company will not even unlock the computer but will take them money via an international money transfer company.
“People could not unlock it themselves but it can be unlocked by a computer technician,” he added.
More from Donegal Daily
- CRIME ALERT: GARDAI HUNT GANG USING SCAM TO CON ELDERLY
Gardai are hunting a gang disguised as Gardai and calling on the homes of elderly people pretending to be checking forged money.
The gang have already called to a number of homes in the Glenfin area of the county.
The two man gang, who were dressed in suits, pretended to be […]
- NEW COMPUTER VIRUS HITS DONEGAL USERS Donegal computer users have been warned about a lethal new virus which is almost impossible to remove.
The virus infects your computer and locks or blocks you from logging into your computer but also disturbingly encrypts all the files on the computer.
This is a more advanced […]
- DONEGAL PC OWNERS USING OLDER COMPUTERS FACE APRIL SECURITY DEADLINE Computer security flaws are becoming apparent as Microsoft’s own dead line of April the 8th 2014 approaches.
Windows XP is one of Microsoft’s oldest and most widely used Operating systems.
Windows XP has been in use for over 12 years now and Microsoft has finally decided to call it […]
- GARDAI INVESTIGATING THREATS TO EXTORT CASH FROM DONEGAL BUSINESS OWNERS
Gardai are investigating a number of attempts to stage bogus 'business attacks' as part of a scam to con cash from companies in Donegal.
A number of such attempts have been made in recent weeks in the East Donegal area by attempting to terrify company employees.
Garda Crime […]
- REVEALED: LAGHEY BURGLARS STOLE RIFLE
Ballyshannon Gardai are today hunting brass-necked burglars after they raided two homes in the same area - making off with a gun.
The houses were raided in the Carraig west area of Laghey shortly after 1PM on Saturday afternoon.
Forced entry was used to gain entry to the houses. […]
- DONEGAL INVESTORS SCRAMBLE TO GET MONEY BACK FROM DOOMED SCHEME The race is on by investors left high and dry by crooked businessman Francois de Dietrich to get some of their money back.
One investor has tried to steal a march on other doomed profiteers by getting a court order for €165,000 from de Dietrich's company ETIC Solutions.
- SHOCK AS DONEGAL INVESTORS SWINDLED YET AGAIN IN PYRAMID SCHEME
DESPITE all the warnings and the shameless antics of previous crooks, more Donegal investors have been swindled - in yet another pyramid scheme con.
They paid into a scheme run by a man in Co Leitrim which was nothing more than the same con run by French crook Francois de […]
- DANIEL RAKES IN THE CASH BUT SAYS MONEY IS NOT IMPORTANT TO HIM Singer Daniel O’Donnell is raking in the cash but says money means nothing to him.
The Kincasslagh star, who recently lost his beloved mum Julia, made a profit of €3M last year.
He has now declared he will take a break from the music industry in February 2015.
He has now sold an […]
- PASTOR CLAIMS CASH SEIZED IN HUMAN TRAFFICKING PROBE IS FROM HIS CONGREGATION
A religious pastor who had €840 seized by Gardai as part of an investigation into Human Trafficking claims the cash came from donations made by members of his church in Letterkenny.
Nicolaie Cirpaci, applied to have the cash returned to him under the Garda Property Act at […]
- COUPLE IN COURT ON DOZENS OF BENEFIT FRAUD CHARGES A COUPLE have appeared in court on dozens of benefit fraud charges.
Martin Stokes, who is 25, and his 24-year-old wife Margaret, stood as the charges were put to them at Donegal Circuit Court.
Stokes faced 39 charges of dishonestly obtaining benefits in Ballybofey and […]
- HOMEOWNERS WARNED OF CONMAN SELLING BOGUS ‘SECURITY SYSTEMS’
The public has been warned of a con-man selling a bogus security system to elderly people.
The gangster has been calling to homes in the Letterkenny area pretending to be a representative of a legitimate security company.
On Monday last the conman called to the home of an […]
- MYSTERY PUNTER COLLECTS HIS €17,000 WINNINGS FROM €5 BET A mystery man who scooped a whopping €17,000 on a tiny €5 bet has come forward to collect his winnings.
The punter predicted the outcome of 11 soccer games to scoop the cash at the Letterkenny branch of Ladbrokes last Saturday.
The man came forward with his winning slip today […]
- COMMUNITY ALERT: WARNING ISSUED AS PAIR TRY TO TAKE MAN TO BANK TO WITHDRAW CASH A man has revealed how a gang tried to take him to his bank to withdraw cash when he said he didn’t have money to buy tools they were selling.
The man contacted Donegal Daily saying he felt intimidated by the two men whom he said were acting in a hostile and aggressive […]
- MAN WITH €10,000 IN ATTIC FOUND GUILTY OF DRUG-DEALING A jobless Letterkenny man found with €10,000 of cash in a jar in his attic claimed he had saved the cash from odd gardening jobs.
Gardai raided the home of Ciaran McCormack after they stopped him and found two bags of cannabis in his car worth €570 as well as more than €300 in […]
- CROOKS TARGET ELDERLY AGAIN IN INTERNET VIRUS SCAM CROOKS from overseas are once again targeting people in Donegal with an internet virus scam.
Thieves ring their victims claiming to be from an internet service provider. They then claim the victim's computer has been hit by a virus and that this can be removed remotely as long as the […]
- CROOKS TARGET DONEGAL WITH COMPUTER VIRUS SCAM CONMEN from abroad are targeting computer users in Donegal in a fake virus scam, donegaldaily.com can reveal.
The crooks are cold calling homes in the county and claiming they are from major computer software companies.
They claim to have identified virus problems on their victims […]
- EIRCOM HANG UP ON CULDAFF’S CALL FOR BROADBAND THERE has been huge disappointment after it was revealed that Eircom will not be upgrading Culdaff for broadband.
Broadbandforculdaff.com, a group of more than 125 people in the town trying to get the updated internet connection, are miffed by the decision.
Culdaff was never […]
- JOB VACANCY: DONEGAL COMPANY LOOKING TO RECRUIT IT PROFESSIONALS JOB VACANCY: An excellent opportunity exists for IT Professionals in one of the North West’s most established retailers.
THE COPE are looking for energetic and well organised professionals to join their successful team in their IT retail business based in Dungloe and to provide […]
- SWILLY GROUP ANNOUNCES 200 TRAINING PLACES AS PART OF NEW GOVERNMENT INITIATIVE Letterkenny based training company the Swilly Group has secured Government funding for 200 training places at various locations in the North West.
The Swilly Group will be offering fully funded training programmes in Healthcare Support, Computer Networking and Maintenance and […]
- SENATOR SLAMS PRIEST FOR ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO “BREAK THE LAW” Senator Jimmy Harte has slammed a leading priest for encouraging people not to pay the €100 household charge.
Senator Harte slammed Fr Brian O’Fearragh after Donegaldaily.com first revealed the priest’s stance on the issue.
Fr Brian O’Fearraigh has described the charge as “robbery” […]