Hackers are targeting Donegal computer-users by freezing their screens and then demanding money to unlock them – as gaeilge!
A man in West Donegal tried to access his computer but found it was locked with an Irish language message.
The message demanded the man forward €100 via transfer computer to have the virus unlocked.
The virus warns that the person may have accessed pornography and that their device has been frozen by an Irish Government agency.
Computer technician Brian McGarvey of Techie2u Computers Repairs has been repairing computers for 12 years around West Donegal and across the county.
Mr McGarvey said this is the first time he has ever come across a virus written in the Irish language.
“It’s quite a sophisticated and convincing scam. To someone who didn’t have good Irish, it’s looks very legitimate.
“I suspect they have used some kind of translation transfer and only about 60% of the virus makes sense in Irish.
“It has a logo which features an Irish flag and it looks quite official.
“However it looks good enough to scare people and some people might be inclined to hand over some money to have the computer unlocked,” he said.
Mr McGarvey says the company will not even unlock the computer but will take them money via an international money transfer company.
“People could not unlock it themselves but it can be unlocked by a computer technician,” he added.
More from Donegal Daily
- CRIME ALERT: GARDAI HUNT GANG USING SCAM TO CON ELDERLY
Gardai are hunting a gang disguised as Gardai and calling on the homes of elderly people pretending to be checking forged money.
The gang have already called to a number of homes in the Glenfin area of the county.
The two man gang, who were dressed in suits, pretended to be […]
- NEW COMPUTER VIRUS HITS DONEGAL USERS Donegal computer users have been warned about a lethal new virus which is almost impossible to remove.
The virus infects your computer and locks or blocks you from logging into your computer but also disturbingly encrypts all the files on the computer.
This is a more advanced […]
- DONEGAL PC OWNERS USING OLDER COMPUTERS FACE APRIL SECURITY DEADLINE Computer security flaws are becoming apparent as Microsoft’s own dead line of April the 8th 2014 approaches.
Windows XP is one of Microsoft’s oldest and most widely used Operating systems.
Windows XP has been in use for over 12 years now and Microsoft has finally decided to call it […]
- DONEGAL INVESTMENT BANKERS AT CENTRE OF TAX PROBE ‘RETIRE’
FOUR men behind a busted Donegal property development have 'retired' after being at the centre of a tax probe.
Accountancy firm KPMG said late last night four senior Belfast partners have left the company.
It said the executives, who are currently being investigated by the […]
- DELIGHT AS DONEGAL SHOP SELLS €120,000 WINNING LOTTO TICKET
Somebody in Lifford is celebrating today after scooping €120,409 on the lotto.
The lucky person, who matched five numbers and the bonus ball, bought their ticket in Gallagher's Newsagent and Foodstore.
Owner Christopher Gallagher congratulated the winner on their Facebook page […]
- GARDAI INVESTIGATING THREATS TO EXTORT CASH FROM DONEGAL BUSINESS OWNERS
Gardai are investigating a number of attempts to stage bogus 'business attacks' as part of a scam to con cash from companies in Donegal.
A number of such attempts have been made in recent weeks in the East Donegal area by attempting to terrify company employees.
Garda Crime […]
- REVEALED: LAGHEY BURGLARS STOLE RIFLE
Ballyshannon Gardai are today hunting brass-necked burglars after they raided two homes in the same area - making off with a gun.
The houses were raided in the Carraig west area of Laghey shortly after 1PM on Saturday afternoon.
Forced entry was used to gain entry to the houses. […]
- GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO SPEND LEAKS CASH ON PUBLIC PIPE NETWORK – PRINGLE The Government would be far better spending money on a leakage programme for the public pipe network than on domestic connections, claims Deputy Thomas Pringle.
He was commenting on the Government's First Fix Scheme.
Deputy Pringle, who previously worked in the Water Department […]
- RELAY FOR LIFE BOSS REVEALS ALL CASH TO BE SPENT OUTSIDE DONEGAL BUT DENIES COMMITTEE SPLIT Donegal's Relay for Life boss has revealed the cash raised from the hugely successful event will not be spent in Donegal but on general cancer research.
Robert O'Connor was reacting to speculation that there has been a fall-out within the organising committee over the […]
- TIME TO CHECK YOUR EUROMILLIONS TICKET AS IRISH PUNTER SCOOPS €86.7M! One lucky Irish punter has scooped €86.7m in tonight's EuroMillions.
The hunt is on for the country’s latest lottery multi-millionaire after one winner hit the jackpot but there are no details where in the country the ticket was bought.
Could Donegal's luck be in twice in one […]
- DONEGAL INVESTORS SCRAMBLE TO GET MONEY BACK FROM DOOMED SCHEME The race is on by investors left high and dry by crooked businessman Francois de Dietrich to get some of their money back.
One investor has tried to steal a march on other doomed profiteers by getting a court order for €165,000 from de Dietrich's company ETIC Solutions.
- SHOCK AS DONEGAL INVESTORS SWINDLED YET AGAIN IN PYRAMID SCHEME
DESPITE all the warnings and the shameless antics of previous crooks, more Donegal investors have been swindled - in yet another pyramid scheme con.
They paid into a scheme run by a man in Co Leitrim which was nothing more than the same con run by French crook Francois de […]
- THEFT VICTIM WARNS PEOPLE TO BE VIGILANT ON NIGHTS OUT A victim of thieves on a night out in Donegal has warned others to be careful.
Nicolle Toland had cash and a phone stolen whilst out celebrating her birthday in Letterkenny on Friday.
The club later recovered her purse - but the cash and the phone with a combined value of €500 were […]
- COMMUNITY ALERT: WARNING ISSUED AS PAIR TRY TO TAKE MAN TO BANK TO WITHDRAW CASH A man has revealed how a gang tried to take him to his bank to withdraw cash when he said he didn’t have money to buy tools they were selling.
The man contacted Donegal Daily saying he felt intimidated by the two men whom he said were acting in a hostile and aggressive […]
- TEENAGE GANG TERRIFIED YOUNG GIRLS DURING BOTCHED ROBBERY Three young Inishowen men broke into the home of a businessman before tying up two young girls and threatening them with a fake gun.
Jason Bonner, 19, and two other accomplices burst into the house in Carndonagh on September29th last before taping the mouths and hands of one of […]
- DONEGAL PLAYERS RAKE IN THE CASH ON WINNING STREAK Two lucky Donegal contestants won big on Winning Streak last weekend.
Joe Birney from Bridgend, Ramelton won €33,000, including a holiday to The Greek Islands.
Marina Burns from Ballymacarter, Greencastle won €45,000, including a car.
Joe Birney and his wife Elizabeth have […]
- DANIEL SCOOPS A ‘FAMILY FORTUNE’ OF €40,000 FOR DONEGAL MIND WELLNESS
Daniel O’Donnell and family have scooped £30,000 for their chosen charity after starring in a brand new series of ‘All Star Family Fortunes’ exclusively on TV3.
The King of country music was joined by wife Majella, niece Trisha, step-son Michael and step-daughter Siobhan as they […]
- DANIEL RAKES IN THE CASH BUT SAYS MONEY IS NOT IMPORTANT TO HIM Singer Daniel O’Donnell is raking in the cash but says money means nothing to him.
The Kincasslagh star, who recently lost his beloved mum Julia, made a profit of €3M last year.
He has now declared he will take a break from the music industry in February 2015.
He has now sold an […]
- DONEGAL’S DAIRY FARMERS TO GET TOP-UP OF €1,350 FOR CHRISTMAS
Fine Gael Minister Joe McHugh says the funding top up of €1,350 for dairy farmers in Donegal will be an important boost at the end of what has been a difficult year.
“This direct aid package for the dairy and pig sectors of €27.4 million, unveiled by Minister for Agriculture Simon […]
- COUPLE IN COURT ON DOZENS OF BENEFIT FRAUD CHARGES A COUPLE have appeared in court on dozens of benefit fraud charges.
Martin Stokes, who is 25, and his 24-year-old wife Margaret, stood as the charges were put to them at Donegal Circuit Court.
Stokes faced 39 charges of dishonestly obtaining benefits in Ballybofey and […]