The Donegal team crossed the Border from Kesh into a throng of green and gold fans in Pettigo at exactly 8pm.
A crowd of more than 3,000 people gathered to cheer in the pouring rain as the Donegal heroes arrived back on home soil.
Manager Jim McGuinness and captain Michael Murphy walked with the Sam Maguire Cup across the border and into Donegal where Sam will be home for AT LEAST another year.
Children given the day off school lined the route alongside proud parents.
The calvacade is not expected to reach Donegal Town until betweem 9.3-pm and 10pm where a huge crowd is already waiting on their heroes.
We will bring you a full report when it happens.
More from Donegal Daily
- CHRISTY ‘UNITES’ WITH CO-WORKERS TO PREPARE FOR SAM – IN PICTURES Christy Toye can safely be described as a veteran of the current Donegal side. And yet the Creeslough man, despite only coming on for a few appearances, has supported Jim McGuinness from the start. And while Christy supported Jim over the last few months, Christy's workmates at […]
- JIM, MICHAEL AND SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF AMERICA – IN PICTURES THERE'S one thing Jim McGuinness knows - and that's the heartache of emigration. People from this county have spread to the four corners of the globe. And over the past seven days Jim, his Donegal captain Michael Murphy and their new 'best friend' Sam Maguire have been able to take […]
- THE BUCK STARTS HERE TO KEEP SAM IN DONEGAL! Running the Donegal senior GAA team isn't cheap. But Jim McGuinness has proven we can beat the best in the country. Now fans have the chance to play their part as the team prepare to keep the Sam Maguire Cup in Donegal and remain as All-Ireland champions. The county will be […]
- “WE WANTED MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD TO BRING BACK SAM” – McGUINNESS One very important passenger may have been missing from their entourage as Donegal GAA manager Jim McGuinness and his team returned home tonight. But even without the Sam Maguire cup, an estimated crowd of more than 5,000 people thronged The Diamond in Donegal Town to welcome […]
- THOUSANDS EXPECTED IN THE DIAMOND FOR RETURN OF GALLANT DONEGAL TEAMS Thousands of people are set to throng The Diamond in Donegal Town tonight when the Donegal Minor and Senior teams return home. Both teams will get a huge welcome home despite being beaten in their respective All-Ireland Final games at Croke Park yesterday. Traffic arrangements […]
- PICTURE SPECIAL: WEAR YOUR COUNTY COLOURS DAY The county was awash with green and gold on Friday as schools and businesses from tip to toe of the county celebrated the countywide ‘Wear Your County Colours Day’ campaign in support of the 2013 Donegal GAA Senior Football Team Training Fund. Schools and organisations […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – WHEN RORY TOOK SAM TO SEE GRANNY BEHIND every great player lies a great family. Wives, girlfriends, mums, dads, children, brothers and sisters. And behind all of them are the grandparents who are so proud. So Granny Kavanagh was a very happy woman when grandson Rory brought Sam Maguire and Donegal captain […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – DUNFANAGHY PICTURE SPECIAL A HUGE crowd of Donegal fans greeted the Heroes of 2012 when they arrived in Dunfanaghy on Wednesday evening. Local hero Colm McFadden helped carry the Sam Maguire down the main street. And like everywhere else on this remarkable journey across the county - a journey the […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – WHEN LEONARD MET SAM IN CARN AFTER A TRIP FROM DOWN UNDER THERE was another huge crowd of enthusiastic fans in Carndonagh when the Sam Maguire came calling with the Donegal team. It was a very special moment for Carn man Leonard Harkin (sure aren't they all Harkins up there!) He had travelled all the way from Melbourne in Australia […]
- MAYOR WISHES DONEGAL GOOD LUCK FOR BIG GAME The Mayor of Donegal Cllr. Frank McBrearty, on behalf of the elected members, management and staff of Donegal County Council would like to wish Jim McGuinness and the Donegal team all the best for their all Ireland final next Sunday. Speaking after Monday's Council meeting the Mayor […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – WHEN MICHAEL, NEIL AND GARY ARRIVED IN THE GLEN THEY may have been 48 hours later than planned. But the people of Glenswilly GAA club came out in their droves when the Sam Maguire cup finally arrived late last night. Team captain Michael Murphy joined Neil Gallagher and Gary McFadden in returning to their home club. And […]
- McGUINNESS, MURPHY AND (SAM) MAGUIRE SET FOR DONEGAL BOSTON GFC 25TH ANNIVERSARY DINNER THERE'S nothing to beat the GAA for bringing ex-pats together around the globe. So in Boston next weekend, the good people of Donegal Boston Gaelic Football Club will gather to celebrate 25 years of bringing the Donegal community together. And the dinner will be even more special […]
- SAM MAGUIRE TROPHY IN LETTERKENNY THIS EVENING WE'RE all hoping that Jim McGuinness and his team can bring back Sam to Donegal on Sunday by putting on a performance good enough to beat a classy Mayo outfit. That one's too close to call. But the Sam Maguire is in Co Donegal this evening if you fancy seeing it. The trophy will […]
- GAA: MALIN DEFEAT CARNDONAGH IN TOM FARREN MEMORIAL CUP TOM FARREN MEMORIAL CUP Malin beat Carndonagh in the Tom Farren Memorial Cup on Saturday on a scoreline of Malin 2-16 Carndonagh 2-09. The Malin Team on the day was: Seamus […]
- SAM’S WORLD TOUR OF DONEGAL – PROUD MOMENT FOR DECLAN IN MALIN DECLAN Walsh was the proudest man in Ireland tonight at the country's most northerly GAA club as he carried the Sam Maguire into Malin. A huge crowd of enthusiastic supporters turned out to see the cup arrive in the town. The players may have looked a bit tired - but their […]
- MCGUINNESS PAYS TRIBUTE TO TRAGIC FAN ANDREW AS TEAM BRING SAM TO TERMON All-Ireland winning football manager Jim McGuinness has said he is glad his team were able to win the Sam Maguire cup in honour of tragic Donegal GAA fan Andrew Duffy. Andrew, 23, drowned in Dublin’s Royal Canal just hours after watching his beloved Donegal beat Cork in the […]
- JIM’S PROMISE TO DONEGAL CHILDREN: ‘WE’LL TAKE SAM INTO EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY’ DONEGAL manager Jim McGuinness promised fans tonight that every child in the county will get a chance to see the Sam Maguire over the next few weeks. And the whole nation will see it on TV tomorrow night as Jim and the team are the special guests of the Late Late Show. The […]
- DONEGAL STARS KEEP CARDS CLOSE TO THEIR CHEST AHEAD OF BIG GAME! Donegal boss Jim McGuinness is unlikely to be showing his hand before next Sunday’s All-Ireland final. And he's also unlikely to shuffle the pack! But that didn’t stop his players from putting on their poker faces last night. The picture was taken as the players complete a […]
- CONNIE MOLLOY ON GAA, HIS FAMOUS BROTHER AND HIS HOPES FOR ANOTHER ALL-IRELAND – WATCH THE VIDEO He's one of Donegal's most famous GAA exports. Connie Molloy, brother of All-Ireland winning captain Anthony, has been living in New York for the past 30 years. A leading light in the GAA scene, here the Ardara man talks about growing up in Donegal, football in America and his […]
- MURPHY TO CAPTAIN IRISH INTERNATIONAL RULES TEAM FOR UPCOMING SERIES Donegal captain Michael Murphy has been named the team captain for the Irish International rules team by manager Paul Earley for the upcoming series against the Australia. Murphy, who captained Donegal to the Sam Maguire in 2012, is regarded by many as one of the best forwards in […]