MORE THAN 500 people attended a rally in Letterkenny today in protest at cuts in last week’s budget.
“The introduction of a tax on the family home with cuts in child benefit will cause hardship to many,” said Can’t Pay, Won’t Pay spokesperson Francis McCafferty.
“These are huge burdens that many simply will not be able to bear while the cut in the Household Benefit package reeks of the most scrooge-like meanness: a tiny saving from the most disadvantaged in our society.”
“We won’t accept this. We did not pay the Household Charge and we will not pay Property Tax. This is the most effective weapon we have against this assault on our living standards.”
TD Thomas Pringle also addressed the rally.
He said people needed to stand up to the Government over the cuts.
More from Donegal Daily
- ‘SNEAKY GOVERNMENT USING HOUSE TAX AS EXCUSE FOR CUTS’ – PRINGLE A DONEGAL TD has accused the Government of being "sneaky" - by using the household tax shortfall as an excuse for cutbacks Independent TD for Donegal South West Thomas Pringle claims the budgets for roads, libraries and housing maintenance in the county had been slashed BEFORE the […]
- ALARMING INCREASE IN ELECTRICITY DISCONNECTIONS, SAYS DONEGAL TD Fianna Fáil Deputy Charlie McConalogue has called on the government to address the alarming rise in the number of electricity disconnections across the North West. New figures released by the Energy Regulator show that nationally, more than 20,000 homes had their electricity or gas […]
- TD PRINGLE VOWS TO FIGHT FOR CHILDREN’S RIGHTS Donegal Deputy Thomas Pringle has pledged his support this week to the Children’s Rights Alliance and its call to strengthen children’s rights in the Constitution. With cross party support for the holding of a referendum, Thomas has offered his own individual support to protect […]
- ANTI-WATER CHARGE PROTESTORS STILL IN FULL FLOW IN DONEGAL More than 1,000 people gathered in Letterkenny today for a protest against water charges. And the message to Government is that protestors will continue to make their voices heard both on the streets - and in the ballot boxes. People came form across the county to take part in […]
- ARRANMORE ISLANDERS TO HOLD MEETING AGAINST NEW CHARGES Islanders on Arranmore have become the latest community to voice their anger at proposed tax hikes including water and septic tank charges. Following on from numerous other public meetings which have been held across County Donegal in opposition to the governments household, septic […]
- DONEGAL PROTESTORS BEGIN ‘LONG MARCH’ TO DUBLIN A group of protestors from Donegal are embarking on an arduous walk from Malin Head to Dublin to highlight the effects of austerity measures on ordinary people, and asking the government to simply ‘walk a mile in our shoes.’ The campaigners, who have formed the action group Donegal […]
- ‘CAN PAY, MUST PAY’ MINISTER TELLS HOME OWNERS AS DONEGAL CAMPAIGN STEPPED UP UPDATED: CAMPAIGNERS IN Co Donegal are stepping up their campaign against the household charge - with posters in English and Irish throughout the county - as environment minister Phil Hogan insisted everyone would have to pay eventually. Mr Hogan issued his warning as RTE reported the […]
- HOW LOW CAN THEY GO? PENSIONER, 78, BEATEN IN LATEST DONEGAL ROBBERY CRUEL thieves have beaten another Co Donegal pensioner during a robbery - for the second time in two months. The 78-year-old victim was thrown to the ground at her home in Pettigo at the weekend. She was assaulted in a similar attack on November 16th last. The assault comes […]
- PRINGLE’S LOGIC ON HOUSEHOLD CHARGE COSTS IS BAFFLING – HARTE Senator Jimmy Harte has slammed Deputy Thomas Pringle's claim that €7 million is being spent on collecting the household charge is cynical politics at its worst. The Labour party politician said the reality is that it is the refusal by non-payment campaign to pay up that is costing […]
- DAD OF MISSING LIFFORD MAN DENIES HIS SON IS IN HIDING The heartbroken father of a missing man has denied malicious rumours that his son is in hiding. Tragic David Colhoun has been missing for almost six weeks after last being seen trying to cross a river to his home in Co Donegal. The 22 year old had been arrested by police in Co […]
- LACK OF SOCIAL HOUSING IN DONEGAL A SCANDAL – McGARVEY County councillor Ian McGarvey has accused Donegal’s six TD’s of failing the county after he said there is a social housing crisis with close to 4,300 on waiting lists. And the former Mayor of Donegal has predicted that unless urgent funding is found, the crisis will escalate well […]
- NEW TWIST IN NOWDOC SAGA AS CAREDOC PLANS TO REVERSE DECISION UNTRUE There has been yet another twist in the on-going saga between CAREDOC and NOWDOC's plans to cut services in Derrybeg and Carndonagh. Donegal Daily revealed through a statement by TD Thomas Pringle that plans to suspend the 'Redeye' services in Derrybeg and Carndonagh had been reversed […]
- PRINGLE SLAMS GOVERNMENT’S ‘NEGATIVE’ CAMPAIGNING ON REFERENDUM Deputy Thomas Pringle has today expressed his anger at the Government’s negative campaigning on the upcoming referendum, describing their approach as “Machiavellian”. Speaking at Leaders’ Questions to the Tánaiste on the matter, the Independent TD for Donegal South-West outlined his […]
- MAN WRONGLY ACCUSED OF RAPE SAYS HE MAY NEVER LIVE IN DONEGAL AGAIN A man wrongly accused of being a “sexual predator” has said he does not know if he will ever be able to return to live in Co Donegal after his ordeal. Kieron Coyle had been accused of rape and sexual assault while working as a taxi-driver in Derry last Christmas. Coyle, 39, has […]
- HOUSEHOLD TAX: ‘GOVERNMENT SEEKS TO PUNISH COUNTIES WHO DON’T PAY UP’ – CAMPAIGNERS The Can’t Pay, Won’t Pay campaign says it is angry that Donegal County Council has called on people to pay the Household Charge. A statement issued today from the Finance Directorate of Donegal County Council warns of cuts in council funding if large numbers do not pay the tax. But […]
- COUNCILLORS DIDN’T LIGHT MATCH BUT THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE – PRINGLE A Donegal Dail Deputy has laid the blame for the suspected arson attack on a Ballyshannon house squarely at the feet of two local councillors. Deputy Thomas Pringle says that while councillors Sean McEniff and Eugene Dolan did not light the match which destroyed the €230,000 home, […]
- TD BOYD BARRETT CALLS ON DONEGAL PEOPLE TO KEEP TAX BOYCOTT GOING More than 80 people were turned out in Letterkenny to hear Independent TD Richard Boyd Barrett appeal to the Donegal public to maintain the tax boycott. The meeting at the Station H0use Hotel was organized by Donegal Campaign against the Home and Water Taxes (CAHWT Dun na […]
- DONEGAL HOMEOWNERS CANNOT AFFORD HEFTY PROPERTY TAXES – MCCONALOGUE Fianna Fáil TD Charlie McConalogue has accused Fine Gael and Labour of attempting to hide behind false claims that they are being forced into introducing property taxes. The Donegal Deputy has voiced his strong opposition to the Government’s plans to hit homeowners with a property tax […]
- WATER AND HOUSE TAX BOMBSHELL SPARKS ‘WAR’ WARNINGS FROM CAMPAIGNERS HOMEOWNERS in Co Donegal will face a new house tax next year based on the value of their homes and gardens - and water charges the following year which together could cost families up to €120 per month. The double whammy - added to septic tank charges for rural dwellers - has led one […]
- SINN FEIN HOLD BANK PROTEST OVER €1.2BN HANDOVER Sinn Féin activists from across Donegal gathered in Letterkenny today to picket in protest as the government plans to hand another €1.2bn to unsecured & unguaranteed bondholders in Anglo Irish Bank. Speaking after the protest Deputy Pádraig Mac Lochlainn said: "Sinn Féin activists […]