MORE THAN 500 people attended a rally in Letterkenny today in protest at cuts in last week’s budget.
“The introduction of a tax on the family home with cuts in child benefit will cause hardship to many,” said Can’t Pay, Won’t Pay spokesperson Francis McCafferty.
“These are huge burdens that many simply will not be able to bear while the cut in the Household Benefit package reeks of the most scrooge-like meanness: a tiny saving from the most disadvantaged in our society.”
“We won’t accept this. We did not pay the Household Charge and we will not pay Property Tax. This is the most effective weapon we have against this assault on our living standards.”
TD Thomas Pringle also addressed the rally.
He said people needed to stand up to the Government over the cuts.
More from Donegal Daily
- BUDGET 2013: CALL FOR PROTEST AT ‘MEAN’ BUDGET Can’t Pay Won’t Pay have condemned today’s budget as a “ mean assault on the living standards of families” and have called for a huge protest this coming Saturday. “The introduction of a tax on the family home with cuts in child benefit will cause hardship to many,” said spokesperson […]
- PRINGLE: ‘I’LL GO TO JAIL RATHER THAN PAY HOUSEHOLD CHARGE’ DONEGAL South West TD Thomas Pringle today repeated his claim that he will not pay the household charge as he launched a new hotline number offering advice to those opposed to the €100 bill. The number is 1890 98 98 00. Callers will be advised on how to handle the issue. Volunteers […]
- RESIDENTS BLOCK IRISH WATER CONTRACTORS AS TENSIONS CONTINUE VILLAGERS have parked cars and blocked entry points for water meter installers today. On the second day of protests in Drumkeen, residents last night met to plan their strategy for today. The work crews arrive at 7am, some of them driving English-registered private […]
- ‘SNEAKY GOVERNMENT USING HOUSE TAX AS EXCUSE FOR CUTS’ – PRINGLE A DONEGAL TD has accused the Government of being "sneaky" - by using the household tax shortfall as an excuse for cutbacks Independent TD for Donegal South West Thomas Pringle claims the budgets for roads, libraries and housing maintenance in the county had been slashed BEFORE the […]
- TD PRINGLE ACCUSES GOVERNMENT OF SNEAKY CUT IN WATER ALLOWANCE THE government decision today to set the 'free' water allowance at 30,000 litres will see many households have their 'free' water allowance slashed by over 7.5 times says Independent Donegal TD Thomas Pringle. Speaking in the Dail tonight on the Private Members Motion on water charges […]
- ALARMING INCREASE IN ELECTRICITY DISCONNECTIONS, SAYS DONEGAL TD Fianna Fáil Deputy Charlie McConalogue has called on the government to address the alarming rise in the number of electricity disconnections across the North West. New figures released by the Energy Regulator show that nationally, more than 20,000 homes had their electricity or gas […]
- NEW MASSIVE DONEGAL HOUSE TAX PROTEST PLANNED AS PRINGLE BRANDS NEW CHARGES ‘UNFAIR’ ANTI household tax campaigners are hoping thousands of people will descend on Letterkenny in two weeks to protest at the charge. The call comes as Donegal TD Thomas Pringle TD criticised the details of the property tax which have been reported today calling it “grossly unfair”, as […]
- DONEGAL PROTESTERS VOW TO STAND STRONG AGAINST HOUSEHOLD AND WATER CHARGES Donegal protesters were among up to 500 activists from all over the country who attended a strategy meeting of the Campaign Against the Household and Water Tax in Dublin today. The meeting was convened to debate the campaign's reaction to the property tax legislation. Among those […]
- McHUGH SLAMS PRINGLE OVER PROPERTY TAX PROTEST FINE Gael Joe McHugh tonight slammed TDs behind plans to boycott a two euro per week property tax. The so-called Household Charge comes into force next month. But Joe McHugh told RTE's Prime Time that the protest would backfire - saying a similar protest by Socialist TD Joe Higgins […]
- CHILD BENEFIT CUTS START TO HIT DONEGAL FAMILIES, SAYS TD Sinn Féin Deputy Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has said that his party is continuing in a 'vigorous campaign' to revoke the child benefit cuts that were implemented in December’s budget. Deputy Mac Lochlainn made the statement as mothers in Donegal were collecting the reduced rate for the […]
- PUBLIC RALLY AGAINST BUDGET TO BE HELD IN LETTERKENNY TOMORROW Members of the public across Donegal are being urged to attend a public protest aganst the budget which is being held in Letterkenny tomorrow. Those annoyed by the budget and other cuts are asked to assemble at Station Roundabout at 2pm for a walk to Market Square where there will be […]
- ELECTION 2016: ODDS SHORTEN ON PRINGLE TAKING SEAT – AND A FIANNA FAIL/FINE GAEL COALITION PUNTERS have been splashing the cash on Thomas Pringle - shortening his odds on retaining a seat in Dail Eireann. The Killybegs politician's odds have shortened as a result, according the BoyleSports. He has been supported into 1/2 from Evens with Fine Gael’s Joe […]
- BUDGET 2013: THE MAIN POINTS AS PRSI AND HOME TAXES INCREASED THE GOVERNMENT has today doubled property taxes and increased PRSI payments which will cost Donegal families an extra €500 a year. The house tax will be 0.18 per cent of the market value for houses worth under €1 million while houses valued at more than that will be charged at 0.25 […]
- BUDGET 2013: TD PRINGLE SAYS VULNERABLE WILL SUFFER Thomas Pringle TD today criticised the government following the announcement of Budget 2013 for its attack on the elderly, medical card holders, the disabled and low earners, calling it “an attack on the vulnerable through the back door”. “Today this government has yet again created a […]
- PRINGLE SAYS HE WILL GO TO JAIL RATHER THAN PAY €100 HOUSEHOLD CHARGE Donegal Dail Deputy Thomas Pringle said he will go to prison rather than pay the €100 Government household charge. The Killybegs based Independent TD said the tax is a step too far and he will not be paying the latest austerity measure. And although it does not apply to them, […]
- PRINGLE HITS BACK AT ‘UNFAIR’ CLAIMS Statement by Thomas Pringle TD on Irish Examiner article printed last Friday, January 13th and repeated in several tabloids on his Can’t Pay Won’t Pay Campaign and Salary Payments Dear all, My salary payments and that of leaders allowance has always been public knowledge and these […]
- LOCAL NEWS: CLOUGHANEELY COMMUNITY NOTES Le Cordelia Nic Fhearraigh Can’t Pay Won’t Pay Cloch Cheann Fhaola There will be another National Protest in Galway on Saturday 14th April to coincide with the Labour Party Ard Fheis. Demo will begin at 1pm in Eyre Square and will march to NUI Galway. A bus will be leaving […]
- TD PRINGLE VOWS TO FIGHT FOR CHILDREN’S RIGHTS Donegal Deputy Thomas Pringle has pledged his support this week to the Children’s Rights Alliance and its call to strengthen children’s rights in the Constitution. With cross party support for the holding of a referendum, Thomas has offered his own individual support to protect […]
- PENSIONER TELLS PROTESTERS OF SHOCKING CUTS TO HER HOME HELP An 85 year old pensioner told a protest march this afternoon how her home help hours were being cut from five hours per week to just one and half hours. Heartbroken Martha Peoples was one of hundreds of people who took part in a rally in Letterkenny against the latest Government […]
- TD THOMAS PRINGLE’S ADDRESS TO THE NATION IN FULL DONEGAL independent Deputy Thomas Pringle has given an address to the nation, representing the technical group of TDs in Dail Eireann. And he used the opportunity - broadcast live to the nation just before 6pm - to hit back at Taoiseach Enda Kenny over his broadcast last […]